Vermont Obituaries - Burlington Free Press - Jan 15, 1914


Harrison M. Vilas

Harrison Martin Vilas died at his home at 83 Pine street Sunday morning at ?9:35? o'clock, after an illness with pneumonia of about two days.   The end was very peaceful and practically free from pain.   There were present at the time of his death his oldest son, Homer K. Vilas, of Albany, N. Y., and one of his grandchildren, Miss May L. Vilas of St Albans.

In the death of Mr. Vilas Burlington loses one or its oldest and best known citizens.   He was in his 97th year, being born in Sterling (now a part of Johnson) in 1817.   He came from a family well known in the State; the youngest of 10 children born to Moses Vilas, a native of Grafton, Mass., and Mercy Flint, daughter of Samuel Flint, a native of Randolph.

The deceased completed his education in Johnson Academy and was a school teacher for a short time.   In 18?? he came to Burlington where he was clerk for his brother and in the general store of Zion E. Howard.   Later, he engaged in the Mercantile business in Plattsburgh, N. Y., whence he returned to Johnson, where for a number of years he was located as a merchant.   In 1854 he moved to Colchester, where he purchased a farm, and some years later added another which he continued to supervise, and was known as one of the most extensive farmers in the town.   For several years he had lived with his son, Martin S. Vilas, In the city.

In his younger days Mr. Vilas served in various in Lamoille county and in 1845 he was elected major of the l0th regiment of Vermont Infantry, which office he held until the organization was discontinued.

Mr. Vilas married Mary J. Hathaway, daughter of Samuel and Harriet Barker Hathaway.   From this union there came eight children, four of whom are now living: Homer ?, who has been ticket agent for the New York Central in Albany, N. Y. for many years, Walter F. and Frank H., engaged in business in Berkeley, Cal., and Martin S. who has been a prominent member of the Chittenden county bar for many years.   He is also survived by six grandchildren.   Martin S. Vilas is now in Berkeley, Cal., where he went early in the summer for his health.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at two at his late home on Pine street and interment was in Green Mount cemetery.

Harold S. Batchelder

News was Received Tuesdav of the death of Harold Story Batchelder at Pittsburg, Pa., after a short Illness.   He was first taken with typhoid, which developed into pneumonia and on Saturday his mother was hurriedly summoned to his ?.

Mr. Batchelder was born in this city October ?, ?, and was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. ? ? Batchelder.   His father is now In Oakland, Cal.   He was graduated with high honors from the Burlington high school in ?1905?, entering the university the next fall, taking the electrical engineering course.   He was graduated from the university last June.   In July he went to Wilkinsburg, Pa., to take a ? graduate's student engineering course with the Westinghouse Eletric company in which he did such ? work that within a few weeks he was taken from the course and placed in the engineering office.

He was active in religious work and especially in connection with the W. ?. T. ?. of which he was at one time ? ?   While in Wilkinsburg he was also active in religious work and it is thought that owing to the pressure of work and Christmas exercises he contracted his illness.   He was a charter member of the Ar?????a Walking club of this city, and for two years served as secretary of that organization.

He was a student of especially fine gifts, with two predominant characterlstic of enthusiasm and unselfishness.   He had a bright future in his electrical work for which he was peculiarly gifted by nature and by his enthusiastic application.   His untimely death ? ? sincere regret and sadness.

Fred J. Flanagan.

Fred J. Flanagan died Friday morning at four o'clock of heart failure.   His illness originated in a shock of paralysis suffered a month ago, from which he rallied.   But January ? a change for the worse occurred and he failed gradually, retaining conciousness until a few hours of the end.

The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at two o'clock at St. Mary's Cathedral and the interment was in St. Joseph's cemetery.

Mr. Flanagan was born at Essex center November 23, 1862.   He came to Burlington when he was 16 years old to work for the late James A. Stone at the well known City Hotel.   After Mr. Stone's death in the railroad wreck at White River Junction in February, 1867, Mr. Flanagan continued at the hotel and later bought out Mrs. Stone's interests.

Mr. Flanagan is survived by his aged father, F. H. Flanagan of this city; a brother, Charles Flanagan of St. Regis N. Y.; two sisters, Mrs. H. E. Randall of Sedalia, Mo., nnd Mrs. C. E. Preston of St. Albans, and by a cousin, Miss Kate Flanagan of this city, who gave him devoted attention in his last illness.   His mother died many years ago.

Mrs. G. A. Rice.

Emma E. Rice, wife of George A. Rice, died at her home in Westford last Sunday, aged 59 years.   She leaves, besides her, husband, a family of three children, Don M. Rice of New York city, Floyd G. Rice of Hasbrouck Heights, N. J., and Mrs. Dr. R. C Flagg of Essex Center.   She is also survived by two sisters and a brother, Mrs. Marion M. Rice, Mrs. Don A. Stone, and Judge J. H. Macomber, all of Burlington.   She was born August 2, 1851 in Burlington, but practically all of her life was spent in Westford.   She was married there January 10, 1887.   In social life she was active and for many years was organist in the Congregational Church in Westford.   She was very much devoted to her home and family.   The funeral will be held from her late home today at one o'clock p. m.

Albert C. Barney.

Albert C. Barney died Monday morning at the Mary Fletcher hospital of heart trouble, which he had suffered for about three months.   He had been at the hospital two weeks Monday.   He is survived by his mother, Mrs E. A. Barney, a sister, Mrs. E. A. Howard, and two brothers, Leon of this city and John of Malone, N. Y.   Mr. Barney was born in Bristol 19 years ago and had lived in this city for the past ten years.   He was a graduate of St. Joseph's school and since graduation was employed as a moving picture operator.   He was a patient sufferer through his painful illness and will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends.

Ellzabeth Ranger

Ellzabeth Ranger, the four years old daughter of Mr and Mrs. Harvey Ranger of Rutland and niece of Mrs. F. E. Gohlke, died of diptheria at the home of her aunt, 41 North Chanmplaln street, Friday afternoon at four o'clock, after one day's illness.   The funeral was held privately Saturday morning and the burial was in St. Joseph's cemetery.

Charles E. Harris.

News has been received here of the death yesterday of Charles E. Harris, formerly manager of the New Sherwood, at the Seymour House at Ogdensburg, N. Y.   He was the first manager of the New Sherwood, remaining until about six months ago.   Recently he was injured in a fall.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, January 15, 1914, Page 5 Columns 4 and 5



William S. Newton of Brattleboro Had Married More Than 1,000 Persons.

Brattleboro, Jan 14 - William Sawyer Newton, aged 91 years, for nearly half a century town clerk of Brattleboro, died this morning at 10:45 o'clock.

Mr. Newton beyond a doubt served the longest continuous term as town clerk of any man in Vermont.   During the 48 years of his service he missed attendance at only two town meetings, one a few years after his election, the other the last year of his service.   Sickness was the cause of his absence on both occasions.

Mr. Newton was first elected town clerk in March, 1863, and was successively re-elected until March, 1911, when his failing health obliged him to decline the customary re-election.   He continued to use the office of the cerk at the suggestion and by the vote of the town, until such time as he became unable to conduct even his private business matters.

Mr. Newton was born in Marlboro June 26, 1822, and was second of three sons of Captain and Betsey (Harris) Newton.   He was of the seventh generation in descent from Richard Newton, who came from England and settled in Southboro, Mass., about 1650.   He obtained his education in the schools of Marlboro and at Brattleboro Academy, where his uncle was principal.

At the age of 17 he became a clerk in the grocery store of Jesse Cone in his native town and later took a similar position in the general store of Gardner C, Hall of Brattleboro.   In 1852 he became clerk in the ticket office of the Vermont and Massachusetts railroad, but a short time later resigned that position to become clerk in the Brattleboro Postoffice.   There he remalned with Samuel Dutton as postmaster, until 1859, when he resigned to enter the grocery business in company with Nathaniel Cheney on the west side of Main street near Whetstone bridge.   He later purchased the interest of his partner and conducted the store until 1887, when he retired from business life to devote all his time to his official duties.

He was made a Justice of the peace at the freemen's meeting following his election as town clerk and soon attained the dignity of the trial justice of the town and tried in his time hundreds of cases, some of which were of unusual importance.   It was so continuously acting in that capacity that he fairly earned the title of "judge" by which he had been universally known.   In sentencing respondents he was given to dealing out much good advice.   In this same official capacity he became the marrying justice of the town and when asked in his declining years how many marriages he had performed, he replied: "Hundreds of them."   It has been estimated by those in a position to know that he has officiated at more than 500 marriage ceremonies.

He was elected a trustee of the Vermont Savings bank and in 1891 was made vice-president of that Institution.   He was a whig in politics but voted for Abraham Lincoln for president and had since that time been affiliated with the Republican party.   He was a member of the Center Congregational Church and of Columbian Lodge of Masons.

He married Lucinda Wells Harris, widow of Noyes Harris.   She died January 29, 1903, after an invalidism of 47 years.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, January 15, 1914, Page 4 Column 3