Vermont Obituaries - Burlington Free Press - Jan 8, 1914


William A. Cromble

William A. Cromble, a former mayor and lumber dealer of this city, died Saturday night at his home in New York after a short illness with pneumonia, in his 70th year.   A telegram was received Sunday morning by Gen. T. S. Peek, sent by Arthur C. Cromble, reading "Father died of pneumonia to-night after short Illness."

Mr. Cromble was born at New Boston, N. H., April 20, 1841, the son of Samuel Coolidge and Susan Augusta (Choate) Cromble.   He attended Pinkerton Academy, Derry N. H. and the Nashua, (N. H.) high school.   He married Sarah E. Murray of Nashua in 1868, who died at New York in March, 1907.   They had three children, William M. Cromble, Arthur C. Cromble, and one daughter, Maude Elizabeth, the wife of George LaRue of New York.

When he was 16 years of age, Mr. Cromble entered the freight department of the Boston, Lewell and Nashua Railroaad company, working his way up through the several grades to the position of cashier.   After four years he came to this city and engaged in the lumber business with Lawrence Barnes, but in (illegible) disposed of his interest to a new organization known as Shepard, Lewis and company which was succeeded in 1876 by the Shepard and Morse Lumber Co., in which Mr. Cromble was a large owner and local manager.   He was interested also in the Burlington Shade Roller company, the Baldwin Refrigerator company and other industries.

He was twice elected mayor, serviing in ?1889 and 1891?, and in the later year, he was appointed colonel on the staff of Governor E. J. Ormsbee.

Since 1891, Mr. Cromble had been engaged in the wholesale lumber business in New York in partnership with his sons, representing E. H. Lemay of Montreal.   For a number of years he was prominently connected with New York city and State politics, being the republican leader of what was then the 15th assembly district in New York city, which carried with it an executive membership in the republican county committee.

The funeral was be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the Unitarian Church.   The Rev. C. J. Staples officiated.   There was a large attenddance and a profusion if magnificent floral offerings, many being brought from New York, where services were held Monday afternoon at the Church of the Divine Paternity.   The honorary bearers were Ex-Gov. ?F? A. Woodbury, Gen. T. S. Peck, W. J. Van Patten, Robert Roberts, C. P. Smith, F. E. Burgess, E. W. Parkhill, C. L. Smith, A. G. Crane, E. R. Seymour, and Gordon C. Edwards and W. H. McAuliffe, the last two from Ottawa.   The body bearers were members of the police force.   The church choir sang "Lead Kindly Light."   Mrs. C. S. Van Patten sang "Oh for the Wings of a Dove" by Mendelsohn.   Miss Alice Nash presided at the organ.   The interment was made in the family lot in Lake View cemetery.   The funeral party that accompanied the body to Burlington consisted of the two sons of the deceased and their wives, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur C. Cromble and Mr. and Mrs. William M. Cromble, the deceased's daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. George F. Ladue, Mrs. Ladue, Mr. Ladue's mother, Harold R. Morse, Herbert W. Morse, Mrs. William A. Tracy, Mrs. William Sawyer and George E. Sawyer, all of New York; E. H. Lemay and W. A. Fillion of Montreal; and Gordon C. Edwards and W. H. McAuliffe of Ottawa.

Frank W. Sager

Frank Wellington Sager, son of Mr. nnd Mrs. Wellington Sager, died at his home at 172 Shelburne street at 3:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon, aged 36 years.   Besides his parents, he leaves one sister, Celia,, Mrs. Edward Limoges, this city.  He was born in this city 36 years ago last October and attended the public schools, graduating from the high school in 1897.   He had been ill for nearly a year with tuberculosis of the lungs, death being caused by hemorrhages, of which had 11 in the past few weeks.   He was a faithful and efficient member of the First Baptist Church, taking his religion with him wherever went.   He was an active worker the Pittsfield, Mass., Y.M.C.A., of which he was a member,   He was also a member of Mystic Lodge of Masons and of the Deteran Firemen's union of the same place.

He was a member of the Burlington fire department, serving at station one for nearly two years and for the last 10 years had been employed by the Bell Telephone company, stationed for the last four years at Pittsfield, Mass.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at two o'clock at his late home and the interment will be in Lake View cemetery.

Mrs. Mary Ricard

Mrs. Mary Ricard, an aged resident of this city, died from a combination of diseases incident to old age yesterday afternoon shortly after three o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary LaBombard, on Spring street, at the age of 87 years.   She had been in bed for a few days.

Mrs. Ricard was Miss Mary Patenaude of Keeseville, N. Y.   She was married when 16 years of age to Joseph Patneaude, who died 10 years later.   Of fourchildren born to them, three are now living.   They are Joseph Patneude of Minneapolis, Minn., Mrs. Rosalie La Fleur of Providence, R. I. and Mrs. Henry LaBombard of this city.   Later she married Lorenzo Ricard of this city, who died 28 years ago.   She is survived by 13 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Ricard was a willing church worker and very free with the poor of St. Joseph's parish.   She was a member of St. Anne's society and of the Union off Prayer of St. Joseph's Church.   She was held in high esteem by all who knew her.   The funeral will be held from St. Joseph's Church Saturday morning at nine o'clock, and the interment will be held in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

George S. Palmer

George S. Palmer, of 24 Brookes avenue died early yesterday morning, aged 66 years after a period of i11 health dating since last June.   He had, however, been confined to his bod only for two weeks.   The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at three o'clock at the house, the Rev. James S. Braker officiating.   The burial will be In Lake View cemetery.

Mr. Palmer was horn at Ticonderoga, N. Y. and had lived in this city for 30 years, being a sawyer by trade.   He is survived by his wife, one son, Harry E. Palmer, and a daughter, Mrs. Walter L. Prior of 24 Brookes avenue; also by one sister, Mrs, W. Traphagan of Northampton, Mass.   Mr. Palmer was a member of the First Baptist Church.   He was devoted his home and family, his life being centered in their interests.   He was a man of admirable characteristics.

Mrs. Octavia Delleback

Mrs. Octavia Delleback died at her home on Cedar street shortly after four o'clock Tuesday afternoon, following a six weeks' illness with Bright's disease.   She had been confined to her bed only since last Sunday.   Mrs. Dellebeck was 56 years old last July and had lived in this city for the past 40 years.

She is survived by one son, Clement Dellebeck of this city, and five daughters, Mrs. Octavla McDonnell, Mrs. G. B. Goldsberry and the Misses Pearl and Beatrice Dellebeck of this city and Mrs. Frank Hatch of Brockton, Mass.   Mr. Dellebeck died about three years ago.

Mrs. Charles Quintal

The funeral of Mrs. Charles Quintal of 96 Park street was held Tuesday afternoon at two o clock at the house with interment in Lake View cemetery.   Mrs. Quintal's death occurred Sunday after a few months' illness with heart trouble.   She was 55, years of age.   Besides her husband, she is survived by three daughters, of whom Mrs. Roan of Minneapolis was with her at the time of her death

Gertrude Tallman.

Gertrude, the 11 months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Tallman of 9 Convent square, died at about eight o'clock Thursday morning at the Mary Fletcher hospital from acute appendicitis.

The funeral was held at the home of her parents Saturday morning, and the body was placed in the vault at Lake View cemetery.

Mrs. Ida F. Goin.

Mrs. Ida F. Goin. sister of U. A. Woodbury and H. E. Woodbury of Burlington, and Mrs. J. D Martin of Hardwlck, died Thursday at Evanston, Ill., of pneumonia, In the ?55th year of her age.   She leaves two sons. Clifton and Robert.   Her husband, Frank E. Goin, a former attorney of Burlington and Chicago, died several years ago.

Howard Griffin.

Howard Arthur, the four months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Eli W. Griffin of S Haswell street, died Friday morning of pneumonia.   The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at two o'clock at the house, and the burial was in Lake View cemetery.

Mark Kirby.

Mark W. Kirby, two-year-old son of Mr and Mrs. Chester Kirby of Grove street, died early Tuesday morning of pneumonia.   The funeral will be held at St. Joseph's Church at three o'clock this afternoon, with burial in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, January 8, 1914, Columns 2 and 3