Vermont Obituaries - Burlington Free Press - Jan 1, 1914


Sayles Nichols.

Sayles Nichols, one of the older much respected residents of this city, and a prominent Mason in local and State circles, was found dead in bed Monday at noon at his home at 17 Grant street.   He had been dead three hours when found.   Mr. Nichols had been in his usual health and the end was entirely unexpected.   Within a week he had been in court to attend proceedings brought by contestants of the will of the late Harriet C. Peck, of whose estate he was executor, and he had been at his office at 160 College street almost daily.   The night before his death he spoke of how well he felt.

Almost his entire life was spent in this city.   He was born in Williston October 7, 1836, the second son of Horton Loomis Nichols and Lucy Hawley Nichols.   In his early childhood the family moved to St. Albans, his father forming the firm of Nichols, Burton & Chittenden, extensive purchasers and shippers of country produce, lumber, etc., before the days of railroads.   In 1849 his father sold out his interest and the family came to Burlington, Mr. Nichols's father forming a partnership with the late Socrates Beach in the bakery business.

Mr. Nichols education was obtained in the district school at St. Albans, the academies of Burlington, Williston and St. Johnsbury, fiinishing at Norwich University, then located at the town of Norwich on the Connecticut.

He began his business career in February, 1864, entering the employ of J. & J. H. Peck & Co., the company being the late Edward W. Peck, then the largest mercantile house between Troy, N. Y., and Montreal.   He remained with the firm until 1858, when he became teller of the St. Albans bank, returning to Burlington the next year to become cashier and bookkeeper for the late Edward Peck, who had succeeded to the business of the old firm of J. & J. H. Peck & Co., which positions he held until June 28, 1906.   He performed the duties of treasurer in the many enterprises in which his employer engaged and was entrusted with the power of attorney to transact any business, sign checks, having in fact full charge of affairs during the accustomed long absence of Mr. Peck, and for many years transacted all of the business in the different companies even when Mr. Peck was at home.   So Faithful was Mr. Nichols in the discharge of every duty and so loyal that he was named executor of the estates of both Mr. and Mrs. Peck, each of whom bequeathed him a handsome competency and a liberal annuity.   Mr. Nichols was the central figure in the prolonged and fierce litigation instigated by heirs of the Peck estate.   Although four times the decision of the Supreme Court was against the heirs, recently they started another attack, seeking this time in probate court to have Mr. Nichols removed as executor.   For 10 years the bitter litigation has held up the sttlement of the estate.

Mr. Nichols was one of the 13 who organized the Ethan Allen Engine company, No. 4, April 24, 1857, and was its clerk and treasurer for four years and assitant foreman three years, resigning in October, ?.   He became a member of the old Vermont Engine company, No. 1, in January, ?.   He was one of 23 who on June 2, ?, organized the Volunteer Hose company, No. 1

In Masonry, Mr. Nichols had a long and honorable record, being a 23rd degree Mason.   He was crowned a sovereign grand inspector-general, honorarium, at Houston oon September 15, 1891.   Among the offices that he held were the following.

Treasurer of Washington Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Burlington, three years; scribe of Buurlington Chapter, R. A. M., in 1906 - ?, thrice illustrious master of Burlington Council, No. 3 Royal and Select Masters; M. P. sovereign of Star of Bethlehem Conclave, Red Cross of Constantine, 1887-1889, junior warden of Haswell Lodge of Perfection, 14 degree, 1882-1884, and it streasurer since 1889; sovereign master of J. W. Roby Council, P. of J. since 1889; most wise master of Delta Chapter of Rose Croix, 18 degree, 1882-1884, and it treasurer since 1889.   He was commander-in-chief of Vermont Consistory, 32 degree ? - ?, and its treasurer since December 28, 1888.   He was one of the organizers of the Council of Deliberation, a grand body of the Scottish Rite for Vermont, January 26, 1875, and held the highest office in its ?, that of first lieutenant commander, in 1883-1885, and was grand sovereign of the Grand Imperial Council of the Red Cross of Constantine and Appendant Orders for the State of Vermont, 1891.

Mr. Nichols married Miss Carrie E. Anderson, oldest daughter of Captain and Mrs. William Anderson of this city, on May 13, 1862.   Their married life lasted but 22 months, her death occurring February 13, 1864.   No children were born of the union.

In politics Mr. Nichols was a staunch republican.   He never sought office, but always worked on behalf of others.   He practiced charity quietly, unostentatiously.

The funeral was held at the Unitarian Church at two o'clock yesterday afternoon.   The Rev. C. J. Staples officiated and Washington Lodge conducted the Masonic service.

Albert O. Humphrey

Albert Orlando Humphrey, one of the best known among the older generation of business men of this city, died early Saturday morning at his home at 103 North Winooski avenue, after an illness of two weeks.   He would have been 85 years old on February 12.

The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at his late home and the interment was in Lake View cemetery, beside the body of his wife.

Mr. Humphrey was a native of Jericho, coming from English stock.   His grandfather, James Humphrey, served through Revolutionary War with distinction.   Mr. Humphrey's father was Ede Humphrey, who was born in Surrey, N. H., and his mother was Phoebe Lee of Jericho.

Mr. Humphrey's wife. Cleara Martha Church, whom he married in 1852, died this city November 23, 1884.   He is survived by one son, Henry C. Humphrey, and a daughter, Mrs. Eugene M. Styles of this city, and by one brother, George H. Humphrey of Rochester, Mass.

Mr. Humphrey spent his boyhood in Jericho and later resided in Richmond, subsequently removing to Underhill, where he was engaged during the greater part of the time in buying butter and cheese for the wholesale trade.   He came to Burlington in 1875 and was for many years a partner in the wholesale firm of Safford & Humphrey.   He was also managing partner of the Corporation store, Humphrey & Kennedy, in Winooski.

Mr. Humphrey was a U. S. assistant assessor after the Civil War for two and a half years.   He represented the town of Underhill in the Legislature of 1867-68, and was a member of the Vermont Senate from Chittenden county in 1872, the first of the biennial sessions.

Recognizing the need of better transportation facilities in this section, with perseverance and foresight, he became one of promoters and builders of the Military Post Street railway, and also the Barre & Montpelier Power & Traction company, as well as the People's Light & Power company of Barre.   He was one of the organizers of the Chittenden County Trust company of this city, and one of its directors up to the time of his death.

Mrs. Walter Carpenter.

Mrs. Walter Carpenter died Sunday morning at five o'clock at her residence at 221 Pearl street after a short illness with pneumonia.   Her illness began with a scold a week ago Friday, which developed into pneumonia about the middle of the week.

Mrs. Carpenter was born Adeline Trimble at Crown Point, N. Y., the daughter of George T. and Adeline Trimble Brown, October 11, 1841.   She was married at Crown Point to Dr. Walter Carpenter of this city in 1858.   His death occurred in November, ?.

In the death of Mrs. Carpenter the city, and St. Paul's Church in particular, loose a woman who did a vast amount of good in a quiet, unostentatious way.   She was for many years a member of St. Paul's and was identified with many of its active organizations, especially with the Pastoral Aid society, of which she was president for 20 years, and the Girls Friendly society, of which she was a charter member and during its whole existence, an associate.   In the Pastoral Aid society she had to a large extent, the distribution of supplies in the parish and always showed sympathy and judgement in the work.   She was a friend of young people and had a ?, ? influence over many of the young ladies in the Girls Friendly society and other organizations of the church.

Mrs. Carpenter is survived by the following nieces: Mrs. F. R. Farrington and Miss Nina Brown of New York, Mrs. H. T. Brown of Port Henry, N. Y., and a nephew, Lawrence C. Brown of Swamp???tt, Mass.

The funeral services were held at the house Tuesday afternoon at one o'clock and the interment was in the family plot in Green Mount cemetery.

Williams Foote.

Williams Foote of ? died suddenly Saturday morning at the home of J. O. Batchelder, ? Lafayette place of heart trouble.   He was attacked while dressing and expired shortly afterward.   He had been about on Friday as usual but although he complained of feeling badly that night he slept fairly well.

The funeral was held Monday afternoon at two o'clock at the Congregational Church of Charlotte.

Mr. Foote was born at Charlotte 76 years ago and most of his life was spent at the Foote farm on Mutton Hill.   He represented Charlotte in the Legislature and held several town offices at various times.   He was a deacon of the Congregational Church and was active in church and social life.

Besides his wife, who was Miss Etta Stebbins of Charlotte, he is surviived by a niece, Mrs. Hiram Kingstand of North Ferrisburg, and two nephews, Charles and Gilmond Foote of Charlotte.

Mr. Foote and his wife had taken rooms at the home of Mr. Batchelder for the winter.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, January 1, 1914, Page 8 Columns 6 and 7