Vermont Obituaries - Burlington Free Press - Feb 12, 1914


Mrs. Charles H. Stewart.

While walking near the corner of College and South Prospect streets at about 9.30 o'clock Tuesday morning, Mrs Charles H. Stewart was taken suddenly ill and was assisted into the home of F. S. Pense by a young man who was passing.   Dr. C. A. Pease was called, but before his arrival life was extinct.   Death was caused by fatty degeneration of the heart.   Health Officer Dr. D. J. Nolan was summoned and also an ambulance, which carried the remains to the undertaking rooms of D. S. Pease.   Later in the day the body was removed to her home at 431 Pearl street, the family having recently moved here from South Burlington.   Mrs. Stewart is survived by her husband, one son, Clifford, and a daughter, Alice.   She is also survived by a brother, Edward Hurson of Essex, and a sister, Mrs. Merritt Ellsworth, of Pleasant Valley.   Her manv friends will mourn her loss.   The funeral will be held this morning at funeral will be held Thursday morning at nine o'clock at St. Mary's Cathedral and the interment will be In St. Joseph's cemetery.   Mrs. Stewart was in her 52nd year, having been born at Essex April 8, 1863.

George C. Black.

George C. Black died very suddenly early Sunday morning at his home at 198 St. Paul street of heart trouble.   He was found dead in bed by his sister, Mary, who went to call him when the household arose for breakfast.   Although he had suffered attacks of heart trouble he was apparently in his usual health when he retired and his death was entirely unexpected.   He had been dead but a short time when found.

Mr. Black was born and lived all his life in Burlington.   He was 37 years old in January.   He is survived by his mother, by three brothers, Charles F. and John G. of this city and Dr. William M. Black of Richmond; and his sister, Mary.   Mr. Black was graduated from the Burlington high school in the class of 1894.

The funeral services wero held Tuesday morning at 8:30 o'clock at St. Mary's Cathedral, and the interment was in the family lot in St. Joseph's cemetery.

Mrs. Edson E. Deming.

Mrs. Mary M. Deming, wife of Edson E. Deming, died Sunday morning at 1:30 o'clock at her home at 23 Johnson street after a long illness, death being caused by fatty degeneration of the heart.   She was ?54? years of age last September.   She was born in Burlington, being Mary Maria Welch.   Besides her husband, she is survived by two sons, Frank and William of this city; by two sisters. Mrs. Nellie Naylon of Burlington and Mrs. Margaret Gibson of Salamanea, N. Y.; by three brothers, Michael, Patrick and Richard Welch of Cincinnati, Ohio; and by two nephews, Robert Naylon and Alexander Fredette of this city.

Thomas J. Doyle.

Thomas J. Doyle died Sunday morning after a lingering illness at the home of his sister, Mrs. John Baker, of St. Paul street, who, with two children, Mrs. Eugene Stanton of Nashua, N. H., and Mrs. William Sawyer of Wilmington, Del., survives him.   The funeral was held at St. Mary's Cathedral Tuesday morning.   Burial was in Plattsburgh, N. Y., in the family lot.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, February 12, 1914, Column 4