William H. Sherman Dead
He Died Of Cancer At Chicago On Sunday
He Was Born at Red Bank and Had Lived Here All His Life-Engaged in the Ice Business For Many Years
William H. Sherman, Sr., a life-long resident of Red Bank, died on Sunday at Chicago, where he had gone to undergo treatment for cancer of the face. He had been troubled with cancer for some time. He underwent an operation and recovered sufficiently to be around, but the trouble appeared again and nine weeks before his death he went to Chicago. He seemed to improve some at first under the treatment but a change for the worse took place and he gradually declined until his death. His wife and his daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Y. Manning, were with him when he died.
Mr. Sherman was a son of Joseph Sherman and was born at Red Bank 58 years ago. The family at that time lived on Mechanic street. In 1866 Mr. Sherman married Sarah Matilda Davis, daughter of John Davis of Lincroft. She and three children survive him. The children are Mrs. Louis Y. Manning and Arthur P. and William H. Sherman, all of whom live at Red Bank. Mr. Sherman leaves also three brothers and two sisters. The brothers are Isaac P. Sherman and Joseph W. Sherman of Red Bank and Thomas Sherman of Lincroft. The sisters are Mrs. George W. Brown and Mrs. Harriet Walters of Seabright.
Mr. Sherman had been engaged in the ice business at Red Bank nearly all his life and of late years he had managed the Red Bank branch of the Monmouth ice company. He had always been identified with the interests of the town and he was held in high esteem by a wide circle of friends. He was a veteran of the civil war, having served with Company F of the 29th regiment, and was a member of the Grand Army Post of Red Bank.
The funeral will be held to-morrow afternoon at two o'clock at the house. The service will be conducted by Rev. J. K. Manning of Trenton, and he will be assisted by Rev. W. B. Matteson of Red Bank. The body will be buried at Fair View cemetery. Members of Arrowsmith Post will act as bearers.
Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, Jan 29, 1902