A Woman Burned To Death
She Lost Her Own Life While Rescuing Her Grandchild
Mrs. Szedleski, a Polish woman whose husband is employed by Joseph D. Frost of New Monmouth, died last Wednesday from burns received the previous Monday.
The family live in a tenant house on the Frost farm. On Monday Mrs. Szedleski went to the chicken yard to do some work, leaving her four-year-old granddaughter in the house. When she returned to the house she found the room where she had left the grandchild full of smoke. While playing with matches the child had set fire to a sofa. Mrs. Szedleski picked up the child and carried her across the street to a neighbors. The child had escaped the blaze but Mrs. Szedleski's clothing had caught fire.
Unmindful of the fact that her clothing was on fire Mrs. Szedloski (sic) rushed back to her home to try to save it from destruction. As she ran back to the house the fire on her clothing was fanned into a fierce blaze. She rolled over and over in the snow and screamed for help. Neighbors were attracted by her cries and they
put the fire out with pails of water, but not until she had been terribly burned about the body. Dr. Patterson of Chapel Hill was summoned but it was impossible to save the woman's life and she died on Wednesday. The house was saved.
Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, Jan 22, 1902