Link to Distant Cousins
Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - Henry S. White
Henry S. White Dead
He Was A Prominent Citizen of Red Bank
His Death Was Caused by Typhoid Fever, With Which he Had Been Sick Several Weeks-He Leaves A Widow and One Daughter
Henry Simmons White, for many years prominent in the political affairs of Monmouth county and a leading member of the Hudson county bar, died at this home at Red Bank on Sunday night. Death was due to typhoid fever, with which he had been sick three weeks.
On Monday, August 16th, he attended the outing of the Franklin Murphy association at Pleasure Bay. He complained of not feeling well soon after he reached the scene of the outing and he remained but a short time. The next morning, despite the fact that he was still feeling far from well, he went to his law office at Jersey City and attended to some cases in court. He was obliged to leave for home early in the day and from that time he had been confined to the bed. Typhoid fever set in and he soon was very low. He seemed to be recovering, however, and during the early part of last week his condition was hopeful, but on Thursday he had a relapse and he gradually grew worse until his death.
The funeral was held this afternoon at the house at half-past three o'clock. Rev. S. H. Thompson, pastor of the Red Bank Presbyterian church, conducted the service, assisted by Rev. Charles E. Hill of Red Bank. The pall bearers were Judge John A. Blair, Charles Carrick and William Allen Lewis, representing the Hudson county bar; Dr. John D. McGill, president of the Hudson county national bank of Jersey City; Capt. James S. Throckmorton, president of the Navesink national bank of Red Bank; and Capt. Charles B. Parsons, George Sneden and Postmaster W. T. Corlies of Red Bank. The body was buried at Fair View cemetery.
Henry S. White was the son of Adaline Simmons and Isaac Pennington White. He was born at Red Bank on July 13th, 1844 on the site now occupied by THE REGISTER office. His family, for five generations back, had been residents of Shrewsbury township. His father was a clerk in Corliss & Allen's store at Shrewsbury when he was a young man, and later, as a partner of Robert H. Woolley, he established the first lumber business in Red Bank. He had two brothers, James S., who died when he was twelve years old; and Theodore S., who died when he was about twenty years of age.
Henry S. White received his preliminary education in the public schools of Red Bank. At an early age he began the study of medicine in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at New York. He graduated in 1864 but as he would not reach his majority until the following year he did not receive his degree. Upon his graduation from college he was appointed an assistant surgeon in the United States army and served until the close of the war. He had then reached the required age to receive his degree and he began the practice of medicine in Red Bank. After two years of practice he concluded that the legal profession led to a wider field for his activities, as well as to a life more congenial to his tastes. He read law in William Allen Lewis's office at Jersey City, entered Columbia law school at New York, graduated in 1870 and was admitted to the bar of New York state the same year. In 1872 he was admitted to the bar of New Jersey and became a counsellor(sic) three years later. Soon after being admitted to the bar in New Jersey he formed a partnership with John A. Blair, which was continued until Mr. Blair's appointment to the judiciary in 1878. Since then Mr. White had practiced independently. Between 1889 and 1890 he had an office in New York in connection with his Jersey City office.
Mr. White as a lawyer was prominently connected with a number of important cases. One of these was the long contest between the Delaware, Lackawana(sic) and Western railroad and the Hudson river tunnel company. Mr. White represented the tunnel company, and the case was carried on for many years, and went through many courts. Mr. White was uniformly successful in the courts and the work of building the tunnel under the Hudson river was begun. When the tunnel was over half built the scheme collapsed for lack of sufficient capital. Subsequently the property was sold to a syndicate of English capitalists, Mr. White being continued by them as the counsel for the company.
In 1878 Mr. White married Miss Annie H. McLean, daughter of Judge Amzi C. McLean of Freehold. She survives him and he also leaves one daughter, Margaretta. For a while after his marriage he and his wife lived at Jersey City, but for the past fifteen years he had been a resident of Red Bank, where he had a handsome property on the river bank.
Henry S. White was a Republican almost ever since the birth of that party. When Freemont was nominated in 1856 Mr. White was only twelve years old, too young to be of any active service to the party. His sympathies were with that party and in Lincoln's campaign in1860, and in every subsequent campaign, he spoke and worked for the Republican candidates. He was assistant collector of the port of New York from 1878 to1882. In 1888 he was a delegate to the Republican national convention at Chicago, which nominated Benjamin Harrison, and in 1890 he was appointed district attorney for New Jersey, which position he held for four years.
Mr. White was as active in local politics in Monmouth county as he was in national politics. He was for several years chairman of the Republican county committee. During his entire residence at Red bank he was one of the foremost workers of the party, and his counsel was always desired at all party conclaves, whether county politics or township politics were under considerations(sic). He was a man who made many friends and he had no enemies.
Mr. White was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic almost from the organization of that order. He served as commander of Arrowsmith Post of Red Bank, and for one term was commander of the department of New Jersey. He was a member of the Masonic lodge of Red Bank. He was vice president of the Navesink national bank of Red Bank, and was a director of the Hudson county national bank of Jersey city. He was the president of the Red Bank board of trade during the time that organization was in existence. The only club to which he belonged was the Union League club of Jersey City.
He was a great church man and both he and his wife were prominently connected with the Presbyterian church of Red Bank. He was a member of the board of trustees of the church for many years, and for a time he was the president of the board. His father had been very active in the organization of the Red Bank Presbyterian, and the same active interest in the successful management of the church which had characterized the father was displayed by the son.
The private school on Leroy place, Red Bank, known as the Shrewsbury academy, was owned by Mr. White. When the school was first contemplated it was intended to have it built by a stock company, and it was begun with this understanding. This project fell through, however, and the work was carried through to completion by Mr. White. The school property is leased by Prof. H. C. Talmage, the principal of the school, and Mr. White's death will have no effect on the continuance of the school, for the present at least.
Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, Oct 2, 1901
Some additional excellent resources for your research are:
Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins
Link to DistantCousin.com
Back to Home Page