Link to Distant Cousins
Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - William Cook
Burned To Death
William Cook met Death as the Result of Taking a Vapor Bath
William Cook of New York, a former resident of Atlantic Highlands, died at St. Luke's hospital on Thursday from burns
sustained while taking a vapor bath. This accident happened two weeks before his death. While in a vapor bath cabinet
an alcohol lamp that had been improvised for the occasion exploded and before he get(sic) out of the cabinet he was horribly
burned about the body. He was taken to St. Luke's hospital, where he died after two weeks of fearful suffering.
Mr. Cook was the son of Andrew J. Cook and was eighteen years old. He was born at Atlantic Highlands and he lived there
until two years ago, when he moved to New York with his parents. Some time before moving to New York he got a position
in a large business establishment there and he remained in this position until his death. He was a bright young man and
was making rapid advancement in the position he held in New York. Besides a father and mother he leaves several brothers
The funeral was held on Sunday afternoon at the Atlantic Highlands Methodist church, of which the young man was a member.
The sermon was preached by Rev. Robert Emery. Rev. Samuel Sargent, the pastor of the church made an address. The choir
of the church sang several hymns. Many floral offerings were received from the young man's friends at Atlantic Highlands
and at New York. The body was buried at Bay View cemetery.
Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, Mar 6, 1901
Some additional excellent resources for your research are:
Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins