Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - Seeley Compton

Home  Search  Queries  Surnames  Census  Ships  States


Site Search

Post Query

Search Queries

Surname Resources

Census Records

Ships Lists!

State Links

Ethnic Links

Link to Distant Cousins

Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - Seeley Compton

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:

Seeley Compton Dead

Stricken with Paralysis While Out Clamming

He Had Gone to Work Early in the Morning, and Was Found Dead in His Boat, About Eight O'clock, by Daniel Aherin

Seeley Compton of Keansburg was found dead in his clamming boat in the bay off that place on Tuesday of last week. He went to work very early in the morning. About eight o'clock Daniel Aherin passed near Mr. Compton's boat on his way to the clamming grounds. Seeing no one in the boat he pulled up alongside and found Mr. Compton's dead body lying in the stern of the boat with his head dropped over in the water. He had hung up his rake and had started to pull in the anchor. It is supposed that he had been taken sick and was getting ready to go ashore when he was stricken with paralysis, which was the cause of his death.

Mr. Compton had suffered with paralysis for a long time. Three years ago he had an attack that left him helpless and speechless, but he gradually recovered from this until he seemed to have fully regained his health. On the Sunday before his death he had a bad spell and another on Monday, but Tuesday morning, when he went to work, he seemed to be as well as usual. Coroner John T. Tetley of Red Bank was notified of his death, but after learning of the circumstances of the case he did not deem an inquest necessary.

Mr. Compton was the son of the late Abigail and Cornelius Compton. He was 69 years old and was born in the old homestead at Belford that was sold recently to settle up the estate of his brother, John S. Compton. Out of a family of eight children only two are now living, Job Compton of Belford and Mrs. Hannah Matthews of Ocean Grove.

On October 20th, 1852, Mr. Compton married Emeline Mills of Keansburg, who survives him. Shortly after his marriage he moved to New York and was employed in a market there for a good many years. About 25 years ago he moved to Keansburg and had since been engaged in clamming. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Compton, seven of whom are living. Those living are Mrs. Isaiah Thorne and Mrs. William Dyer of Keansburg, Mrs. John Foulks of Brooklyn, Mrs. William C. Willett of New Berne, North Carolina and Irene, Mary Frances and Teresa Compton, who live at home. The only son, Francis, died in infancy. Two daughters, Georgianna and Evelyn, died after they grew up.

Mr. Compton had been a member of the Methodist church nearly all his life and always gave the church his loyal support. He was a good husband, a kind father and was held in high esteem by his neighbors. His sudden death was a great shock to his family.

The funeral was held on Friday at the Keansburg Methodist church. The service was conducted by Rev. John Allen and the body was buried at Keyport.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, June 12, 1901

Some additional excellent resources for your research are:

Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

Link to

Back to Home Page

Privacy Statement