Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - John Reddington, Jr.

Home  Search  Queries  Surnames  Census  Ships  States


Site Search

Post Query

Search Queries

Surname Resources

Census Records

Ships Lists!

State Links

Ethnic Links

Link to Distant Cousins

Obituaries - NJ - 1901 - John Reddington, Jr.

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:

Whirled Round a Shaft John Reddington, Jr., Killed Instantly He Was Hoisting Coal at Port Monmouth When His Jumper Caught in the Machinery

John Reddington, Jr., son of John Reddington, Sr., of Belford, was instantly killed on Saturday morning at the Port Monmouth steamboat dock by being caught on the shaft of a hoisting apparatus and revolved round and round with the machinery.

Young Reddington was 21 years old. His father, who is familiarly known as "Doc" Reddington has been Captain Benjamin Griggs's right hand man for a good many years. The young man had also worked for the captain a number of years and last summer he was dockmaster at the Port Monmouth steamboat dock. Since Captain Griggs established a coal business at the steamboat dock young Reddington had been employed at the coal yard during the winter.

On Saturday young Reddington was running the hoisting apparatus used at the coal yard for hoisting coal from sloops to the coal bins. He stood in such a position that he could operate the engine and also throw on and off the gear of the hoisting apparatus. The cylinder of windlass around which the cable of the hoisting apparatus wound was continually in motion at full speed and the coal car was hoisted or let down by throwing the machinery in gear with a lever. Occasionally the cable would not start to wind properly around the cylinder and it would be necessary to give the cable a touch with the hand.

In the end of the shaft on which the cylinder was running was a sort of lynch pin to keep the cylinder in place. Young Reddington wore a jumper, the sleeves of which were loose at the wrist. In reaching over the cylinder to start the cable properly the loose sleeve of his jumper caught in the lynch pin. The sleeve of the jumper wound around the shaft up to the young man's shoulder. The jumper was of strong material, and Mr. Reddington was whirled round and round the shaft like a pin wheel. His head and heels pounded the floor with each revolution of the cable cylinder.

The first time that Reddington was whirled around the shaft his feet struck the throttle of the engine and broke it off. This started the engine at a faster pace and made it impossible to shut off the engine until a monkey wrench was secured. When the speed of the engine was slackened and Reddington's body dropped from the cylinder all his clothing had been torn off excepting a shirt band around his neck and his shoes and stockings. The heels of his shoes were torn off by contact with the floor of the engine house. Almost every bone in his body was broken. His skull was crushed and there were bruises all over his body. He gave only a gasp or two after being taken from the cylinder.

The young's man father and Captain Benjamin Griggs both witnessed the accident, but with the breaking off of the throttle both were powerless to give immediate assistance. The sight of his son's life being pounded out was more than Mr. Redddington could bear and he turned from the scene. Captain Griggs tried to pull Reddington's body from its position. It is said by those who were attracted to the scene of the accident that he would have been drawn into the machinery himself had not bystanders restrained him in his efforts to remove Reddington's body from the whirling shaft. Coroner Tetley of Red Bank was notified immediately after the accident but he did not deem an inquest necessary.

Besides a father and mother young Reddington is survived by three brothers and a sister. They are Thomas, Timothy, James and Mary Agnes Reddington. Reddington was a popular young man and he had a wide circle of friends. He was a member of the choir of St. Mary's church of New Monmouth and he took a deep interest in church afairs(sic). He was a young man of good habits, had a liberal education and gave promise of a successful career. He was unmarried and lived at home.

The funeral was held yesterday morning at nine o'clock at the house and at half-past nine at St Mary's church. Rev. J. F. O'Connor had charge of the service. The body was buried in Mt. Olivet cemetery.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, Apr 24, 1901

Some additional excellent resources for your research are:

Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

Link to

Privacy Statement