New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Louis Blumenberg

Home  Search  Queries  Surnames  Census  Ships  States
Home


Cemetery
Records
Online



Site Search


Post Query


Search Queries


Surname Resources


Census Records


Ships Lists!


State Links


Ethnic Links


Link to Distant Cousins


New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Louis Blumenberg

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:


Louis Blumenberg, who conducted a millinery business on Broad street, died on Thursday, aged 72 years. Mr. Blumenberg began to fail in health about six months ago. Three months ago he was taken with the grip and was confined to his bed for several weeks. He recovered from this sickness sufficiently to be around but he was unable to regain his strength and three weeks previous to his death he had a relapse. He again took to his bed and sank gradually until his death.

Mr. Blumenberg was born in Germany. He came to this country in 1855 and soon afterward he came to Red Bank. He formed a partnership with Sally Levy and opened a millinery establishment at the corner of Broad and Mechanic streets where the Navesink national bank now stands. The building which then stood on the site had been built by Richard and Joseph Borden for a sash and blind factory.

After conducting the business about four years Mr. Blumenberg and Mr. Levy dissolved the partnership and Mr. Blumenberg made a trip to his native country. At that time a Mr. Landsberg conducted a clothing store in a building on Front street owned by Charles Cothren. Landsberg and Mr. Blumenberg were intimate friends and while Mr. Blumenberg was in Germany, Landsberg made an agreement with John Abbott Worthley whereby Mr. Worthley was to put up a building to be occupied by Mr. Blumenberg when he came back from Germany. This building was erected where Charles Cook’s downtown restaurant is now located. When Mr. Blumenberg came back he was not satisfied with the location of the store and he rented a store that stood on the present site of the Vandegrift building, now occupied by N. J. Wilson and Hubbard Brothers. This was a double store owned by Isaac Cohen and half of the building was occupied by Mr. Cohen as a clothing store. After occupying this store a few years Mr. Blumenberg bought a lot from the late James Broadmeadow and put up the present brick store on Broad street, adjoining THE REGISTER office. This was 23 years ago, and at that time there were no business places on the west side of Broad street above Mr. Blumenberg’s store. Mr. Levy conducted the business a few years after Mr. Blumenberg withdrew from the firm. Mr. Levy then went to Chatanooga, Tennessee. Afterward he returned to New York, where he died some years ago.

On September 27th, 1868, Mr. Blumenberg married Miss Alice Herz of New York. She survives him, but he leaves no children. He leaves also a sister at New York, Mrs. I. Schiekler and two brothers and two sisters in Germany.

Mr. Blumenberg was of a retiring disposition. He. devoted his whole time to his business and outside of Red Bank he was little known except among the patrons of his establishment. He was a man of strict integrity and had a reputation for honest dealings during his long business career.

The body was taken to Long Island on Sunday morning and buried in Salem Fields cemetery. The only service held was at the grave.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, May 30, 1900

Some additional excellent resources for your research are:




Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

Link to DistantCousin.com

Back to Home Page

Privacy Statement