New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Mabel M. (Robinson) Hodges

Home  Search  Queries  Surnames  Census  Ships  States


Site Search

Post Query

Search Queries

Surname Resources

Census Records

Ships Lists!

State Links

Ethnic Links

Link to Distant Cousins

New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Mabel M. (Robinson) Hodges

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:

Mabel M. (Robinson) Hodges of Branch avenue, who was injured in a runaway accident about a week ago, died from her injuries last Wednesday afternoon.

Mrs. Hodges was the daughter of Annie M. and J. S. Robinson, and was born on June 20th, 1869 at Newcastle on the Tyne, England. She came to this country when she was nine years old. Her father was at one time a prosperous business man, but was reduced in circumstances through Wall street speculations. He died when Mrs. Hodges was not quite thirteen years of age. At Mr. Robinson’s death his wife opened a millinery establishment, employing 25 apprentices. She died three years later, leaving Mrs. Hodges with no relatives on this side of the Atlantic except her grandfather, who was then commodore of the Anchor line of steamers. He died about eight years ago. Since coming to this country Mrs. Hodges had made six trips across the ocean. She was a thorough business woman and took entire charge of the place where she lived, looking after five or six hundred chickens. Mr. Hodges is in business in New York and each morning his wife took him to the train and went for him at night. She had missed only three trips to meet him in the four years that they have lived at Red Bank.

Mrs. Hodges was a horsewoman of unusual skill. She often said that she could pull the ribbons over anything that could be harnessed. Five years ago she drove a six-horse coaching party from New York to Yonkers and return. She had never had an accident with a horse until the one that caused her death, and this was with a colt that she had broken.

Mrs. Hodges’s funeral was held at one o’clock at her late home on Sunday afternoon. The sermon was preached by Rev. William B. Matteson. Among the floral pieces was a wreath on a pedestal from the Red Bank firemen, whom Mrs. Hodges assisted with untiring effort at their recent fair. Mrs. Hodges was a devoted wife and mother, and her death is mourned by a large circle of friends. Besides a husband she leaves three sons. They are Frank, Gilbert and Willie. The interment was made in Fair View cemetery. The pall bearers were John Many, L. de la Reussile, Ensley E. Morris, Mr. Fletcher, Oscar Hesse, Jr., and Frank Longstreet.

Per Death Notice Mrs. Hodges was aged 31 years.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, May 23, 1900

Perhaps A Fatal Injury

Mrs. Frank Hodges Thrown From Her Cart

Her Head Struck Against a Hydrant and Her Skull May be Fractured-Her Horse Frightened by a Trolley Car Bell

Mrs. Frank Hodges of Branch avenue was thrown out of a wagon at the corner of Monmouth street and Maple avenue at three o’clock on Monday afternoon and received injuries which may result fatally. Mrs. Hodges started from home about half-past two o’clock with a colt hitched to a cart to go to the Oakland street school for Miss Carrie Ivins, who is a teacher in this school and who boards with Mrs. Hodges. The colt was four years old. It had been broken and had always been driven by Mrs. Hodges, who is an experienced horsewoman.

As Mrs. Hodges drove up Monmouth street she passed a trolley car. The colt was not frightened and Mrs. Hodges had frequently passed trolley cars without the colt showing any serious signs of uneasiness. Miss Ivins got in the cart with Mrs. Hodges at the school and the two women started for home. At the corner of Monmouth street and Maple avenue the trolley car again passed them. The trolley car bell was rung and this frightened the colt. Mrs. Hodges stood up in the cart and at that moment the colt wheeled suddenly around. Mrs. Hodges was thrown out of the cart and her head struck against a hydrant.

As soon as Mrs. Hodges was thrown out of the cart Miss Ivins grabbed at the lines. She caught one of them and pulled hard on that. The colt ran up Maple avenue with Miss Ivins tugging at the line. The colt turned completely around while going up the street between Monmouth street and Oakland street. Near the Baptist church one wheel of the cart ran up the side of the road and the cart nearly tilted over. Miss Ivins was thrown out of the cart. She escaped entirely unhurt but was dreadfully frightened. A little further on the cart ran into a tree and the colt broke loose from the vehicle. The colt ran home, and when it got there every bit of the harness had been shaken off.

When Mrs. Hodges struck against the hydrant she received a scalp wound starting over the left eye and extending across her forhead (sic) around to the back part of her head. She also received a cut in the top of her head that scraped the bone. She was not rendered unconscious by the fall. She was assisted on board the trolley car and the car backed down to Dr. Rush’s office, which is only a short distance from where the accident happened. She walked from the car into Dr. Rush’s office. The wound was bleeding profusely and Mrs. Hodges was covered with blood and dirt. She displayed a remarkable nerve and coolly told the doctor that she had received a pretty good bump on the head.

Drs. Sayre and Field were sent for. Dr. Field was out of town and did not get to Dr. Rush’s office until after six o’clock. In the meantime Dr. Rush and Dr. Sayre had given the injury proper attention and had drawn the cut together with adhesive plasters. The cut was sewed up by Dr. Field. Mrs. Hodges remained at Dr. Rush’s office until about eleven o’clock, when she was removed to her home. Mrs. Hodges was put under the influence of anaesthetics (sic) while the cut was being sewed up. Except while she was under the influence of the ether she was conscious during the entire time that she was at the doctor’s office. She had one sinking spell during the afternoon, but this lasted only a few minutes.

The exact extent of Mrs. Hodges’s injuries could not be determined at once. The cut is a very bad one and there is a possibility that the skull is fractured. Dr. Field is attending her and she has the attention of a trained nurse from the Long Branch hospital. Her condition this morning is more alarming than at any time since the accident.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, May 9, 1900

Dying From Her Injuries

Mrs. Frank Hodges of Branch avenue, who was injured on Monday of last week by being thrown from her cart at the corner of Maple avenue and Monmouth street, is dying from the effects of her injuries. Mrs. Hodges’s horse was frightened by a trolley car and she was thrown against a hydrant, receiving a scalp wound that extended almost around her head. It was thought at first that her skull was fractured, but this proved to be not true, and hopes were entertained of her recovery. The first of this week lockjaw set in and her condition is now such that her death is hourly expected.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, May 16, 1900

Some additional excellent resources for your research are:

Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

Link to

Back to Home Page

Privacy Statement