New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Frank Woolley

Home  Search  Queries  Surnames  Census  Ships  States


Site Search

Post Query

Search Queries

Surname Resources

Census Records

Ships Lists!

State Links

Ethnic Links

Link to Distant Cousins

New Jersey Obituaries - 1900 - Frank Woolley

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:

Frank Woolley Drowned

His Canoe Capsized Up The River On Sunday

He and Some Companions Had Gone Up the River and Were on Their Return Home When the Accident Occurred

Frank Woolley, son of Justice Edmund T. Woolley of Oakland street, was drowned in the Shrewsbury river, near River street, a little before twelve o’clock on Sunday. Woolley and Richard Applegate, son of William Applegate, Jr., had gone up the river on Sunday morning in a canoe. Accompanying them in another canoe were Howard Bailey and Harry Smock, who is employed in Schroeder’s drug store.

Woolley and Applegate went up the river as far as Lawes’s boarding house, while Bailey and Smock waited for them at the place where the river forked. The two boats came down together, Bailey and Smock being a little in the lead.

Near River street the two boats came together and Woolley caught hold of the other canoe. A row boat was near by in which were Theodore Hurd, Miss Mazie Meredith and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Platt of Brooklyn. The occupants of the three boats talked and laughed together for a time. Then Woolley said to Applegate, “Let’s beat them,” and he gave their canoe a push ahead with his hand, which was still on the other canoe.

The canoe went a few feet and then overturned. Applegate swam ashore, supposing that Woolley was following or that he would be helped , if he should need any help, by the occupants of the other boats. Bailey and Smock watched for Woolley to come to the surface, intending to grab him as he rose. After a few seconds a hand was thrust partly above the surface of the water, but it immediately went down again. A few bubbles came to the surface, but that was all.

As the canoe overturned Woolley cried for help. Abe Burlett was close at hand and he at once went to his aid. He is the strongest swimmer and the best diver in the western part of Red Bank. He dived again and again for Woolley but could not reach him. Finally Edward Murphy and William McGacken, who were in the neighborhood, grappled for the body, and it was found.

The body had been in the water about half an hour before it was found. As soon as it was recovered Burlett set to work in an effort at resuscitation. He continued his efforts for a long time but without results. The body was left on a float and Coroner Tetley was sent for. He viewed the body, and it was afterward removed to R. T. Smith’s undertaking establishment. It remained there until about five o’clock, when it was taken home.

Mr. Woolley’s mother was visiting another son, who lives at Matawan, and her husband telegraphed to her, telling her of the accident. She reached home about five o’clock. She is afflicted with heart disease, and the accident so affected her that she has been in a precarious condition ever since.

The funeral was held this afternoon at half-past one o’clock at the house and at two o’clock at the Baptist church. The service was very largely attended, and there were many floral tokens. A large pillow, a broken colum (sic), and a piece representing “Gates Ajar” were among the flowers sent by friends and associates. The sermon was preached by Rev. W. B. Matteson, and Rev. Robert MacKellar and Rev. E. C. Hancock assisted in the service. The burial will be at West Long Branch. The bearers are Marcus Nesbitt, M. V. Pack, William O. Voorhees, Joseph Applegate, Albert S. Miller and James Throckmorton, Jr.

Mr. Woolley was 25 years old last November. He had been employed in Hendrickson & Applegate’s store for the past seven years and this was the only place he had ever worked. He was a great favorite, not only with his fellow clerks and his employer, but with the customers of the store as well.

He was the thirteenth child of Palmaria and Edmund T. Woolley and was the youngest member of the family. Two of his brothers died in infancy. His oldest brother, John Woolley, died about five years ago. His brother’s widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Woolley, lives at Red Bank. All his other brothers and sisters are living. They are Samuel Griscom Woolley of Red Bank; Mrs. Elizabeth White, Mrs. Mary Jane Taylor and Mrs. Maria Howland of Long Branch; Mrs. Annie West and Mrs. Ellen Hennessey of North Long Branch; Albert Woolley of Matawan; Charles Woolley of Manasquan, and George Woolley of Roselle.

Mrs. Woolley was insured in the Heptasophs lodge for $2,000 and for $200 in the Prudential insurance company. He also carried an accident policy for $1,000. These sums will be paid to his parents, as he was unmarried.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, June 13, 1900

Related Links To Outside Resources:

Thank you for visiting our site.
Please do come back again.
And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

Link to

Back to Home Page

Privacy Statement