Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries  |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

New Jersey Obituaries - Ye1900 - Mrs. Catherine (Hendrickson) Sickles


An Aged Resident Dead

Mrs. Catherine Sickles Dies From Dysentery

She Was a Member of One of the Oldest Families of Monmouth-Her Grandfather Was an Officer in the Revolutionary War

Mrs. Catherine (Hendrickson) Sickles of Rector place, died on Saturday of dysentery, aged 84 years. Mrs. Sickles had been sick only since last Wednesday. The funeral was held at the house on Monday afternoon. Rev. S. H. Thompson, pastor of the Red Bank Presbyterian church, had charge of the services. He was assisted by Rev. S. W. Knipe and Rev. John Parmley, both of Oceanic. The body was buried at the Old Brick church burying ground at Marlboro.

Mrs. Sickles was born at Marlboro, her father being Garrett D. Hendrickson. Mrs. Sicklesís mother was also a Hendrickson and her family was one of the oldest in the state. The original members of the family in this country came from Holland over two hundred years ago and settled at Middletown. Mrs. Sicklesís grandfather was an officer in the American revolution. She was married at Marlboro in 1844 to William Henry Sickles, who was then living at Holmdel. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sickles settled on Renwood stock farm at Marlboro. They lived there for more than 25 years, and about 1874 they sold the farm and stock to the late Charles E. Carman, and moved to Red Bank. Monmouth county farm lands were in great demand when the farm was sold, and Mr. Sickles received a very high price for the place. Mr. Sickles and his son, Henry D. Sickles engaged in the real estate business at Red Bank, and they also opened an office in New York. The business at Red Bank was continued for fourteen years, when the office here was closed and the family moved to New York. They remained in New York seven years and then returned to this section of the county. In 1896 Mr. Sickles died of Brightís disease. Mrs. Sickles then moved to Red Bank where she had since lived.

When Mr. Sickles moved to Red Bank from Marlboro he bought the property on Broad street, where St. Jamesís church and the Catholic rectory now stand. The house was rebuilt, a big barn was put up, and the grounds were handsomely laid out with flowers and shrubbery. Statuary was placed in the yard and for some years the property was one of the show places in Red Bank. The real estate business did not prove profitable in Red Bank, and the property was subsequently sold under foreclosure by the New York Mutual life insurance company, who held a mortgage on the property. At the sale the property was bought by the insurance company, and after this concern had held it about a year it was bought by St. Jamesís parish as a site for their new church. The Sickles house was moved to the south side of the lot, and addition was built to it and it is now occupied as a residence by Rev. James A. Reynolds, the rector of the church.

Mrs. Sickles was a prominent church woman, and was an active worker in charitable causes in the Old Brick church at Marlboro and in the Presbyterian church at Red Bank. At her husbandís death she was left practically destitute but a home was provided for her by her old-time friends. Mr. Sickles was a woman of most lovable character, and in her adversity she retained many of the friends who had known her and loved her in the days of old.

Mrs. Sickles leaves one son, Henry D. Sickles, who still conducts the real estate business in New York. Some years ago he married Miss Ella F. Botts of New York. After their marriage they lived in Red Bank for three years and are quite well known here. Two sisters, Mrs. J. V. Carson of Freehold and Mrs. James Johnson of Asbury Park, survive Mrs. Sickles.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, August 29, 1900

Related Links To Outside Resources: