New Jersey Obituaries - 1899 - Samuel Worth

Samuel Worth Drowned

His Body found on the Beach at Atlantic Highlands

The dead body of Samuel Worth of Port Monmouth was found on the beach at Atlantic Highlands last Thursday morning, where it had been cast up by the tide during the night. The body lay close to the railroad track that skirts the shore front and was discovered by trainmen. They called to George W. Davis on shore and he notified Deputy Coroner Amzi M. Posten. The body was taken to Mr. Posten's undertaking establishment. An inquest was not deemed necessary.

Worth was last seen alive at Port Monmouth last Wednesday night. He had been on a very long spree and for several days he had been acting queerly. Tuesday night he jumped overboard from a boat in the creek at Port Monmouth, but was fished out by people who happened to be near by. He also tried to cut his throat Tuesday night, but was prevented by Fred Frieze. Nearly all day Wednesday he waded around in the Port Monmouth creek, refusing to go ashore. Several times during the day he swam a considerable distance off shore. People working along the shore were so accustomed to seeing him act in that manner that they paid but little attention to him. Late on Wednesday afternoon he went on his boat and scrubbed out the cabin. He put on a good suit of clothes and then went ashore. Ira Gibson asked him where he was going and Worth replied that he thought he would swim down to Atlantic Highlands. He started off across the salt meadows and nothing further was seen of him until his dead body was found on the beach at Atlantic Highlands the next morning. It is supposed that he was walking on the railroad track and either fell or threw himself into the water.

Worth was about 38 years old and was unmarried. He leaves two brothers, Stephen Worth of Port Monmouth and William Worth of Jersey City. The three men were left orphans at an early age, and Samuel and Stephen came to Port Monmouth. They worked at farming for Monroe Smith and later for Henry Smith. When they reached manhood they went to clamming and Samuel followed that occupation up to the time of his death. Stephen is still engaged in that business. Samuel worked with Jacob Johnson on the sloop Nettie Lee. He lived on board the boat. He drank heavily and at the end of every spree he had a crazy spell. He was not harmful, but acted in a sort of a half-witted manner. About a year ago he disappeared suddenly and nothing was heard of him for two weeks. He finally turned up at Middletown. There he made grimaces at children and made himself such a nuisance that he was arrested and sent to the county jail for thirty days. When he was not in liquor he was sensible, and was of a very peaceable disposition. His funeral was held on Saturday at the home of his brother, Stephen Worth. Rev. Joseph S. Clark conducted the service. The body was buried in Bay View cemetery.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, October 25, 1899