New Jersey Obituaries - 1899 - Joseph Danser

Killed At Long Branch

A Coltís Neck Manís Skull Fractured By A Fall

Joseph Danser was Delivering a Load of Hay When the Wagon Upset - Taken to the Hospital, Where He died Five Hours Later

Joseph Danser of Coltís Neck was killed at Long Branch with a load of hay which was to be delivered at the barn on Bath avenue, which is connected with Newingís hotel. The barn stands close to the road and to reach the barn Mr. Danser had to drive up on the sidewalk. One side of the wagon was up on the curb when the load of hay struck the guy wire which is attached to a telephone pole. This upset the wagon and Mr. Danser was pitched headlong from the top of the wagon. He struck his head and was picked up unconscious.

The accident happened at about half-past two oíclock. Charles H. Throckmorton, who is employed in the Second national bank of Red Bank, happened to be in the locality at the time. He got a couch from a neighboring house and placed Mr. Danser on it. Then he engaged a truck and Mr. Danser was removed to the Long Branch hospital.

At the hospital it was found that Mr. Danserís skull was fractured and that he had suffered internal injuries. He was cared for, but he died just before seven oíclock without having regained consciousness. The body was taken to his late home at Coltís neck on Sunday. Charles Danser, one of Mr. Danserís sons was at Long Branch at the time his father was injured. He was delivering a load of corn but was in another part of the town.

Mr. Danser was about sixty years old. His wife died eleven weeks ago. He leaves two sons and a daughter. The sons are Charles and George Danser, both of whom live at home. The daughter is Mrs. John Conover of Coltís Neck. Several years ago Mr. Danser bought the Mount Bergen place at Coltís Neck, near the Reformed church, and had lived there ever since. The funeral was held at the Coltís Neck Reformed church at half-past two oíclock this afternoon and was conducted by Rev. S. R. Cunningham. The burial was in the Coltís Neck cemetery.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, April 26, 1899