New Jersey News - March 16, 1898 - James W. Albertson and Mrs. Mary Maney

Home   Search   Queries   Surnames   Census   Ships   States


Site Search

Post Query

Search Queries

Surname Resources

Census Records

Ships Lists!

State Links

Ethnic Links

Link to Distant Cousins

New Jersey News - March 16, 1898 - James W. Albertson and Mrs. Mary Maney

Search this site by Keyword / Surname:

A Man And Woman Killed

Both Of Them Struck By A Locomotive

James W. Albertson Killed on Friday Night at Broad Street Crossing, and Mrs. Mary Maney Killed on Monday Near Beach Street

James S. Albertson, who had been farming the Capt. H. B. Parker place on Broad street for the past year, was killed last Friday night at the Broad street crossing of the New York and Long Branch railroad. He came to Red Bank early in the afternoon and started for home about half-past seven o'clock. When he came near the track, Martin Kearney of Shrewsbury, the flagman at the crossing, was standing on the track waving his lantern to signal the train and to warn drivers of the train's approach. He saw Albertson coming and shouted to him to stop. Albertson stopped his horses close to the track, and Kearney stepped off the track, on the Shrewsbury side. As Kearney left the track Albertson said he had time enough to get across, and he struck his horses with the whip. They dashed forward, and just as they were in the middle of the track they were struck by the locomotive.

The cowcatcher struck the front part of the wagon and the hind-quarters of the horses. The horses were flung to one side of the track and Albertson was hurled on the other side. The front part of the wagon was smashed, but the hind wheel and rear part of the wagon were hardly damaged at all. The speed at which the train was going cut the wagon in two.

Albertson was thrown about sixty feet and was instantly killed. While he was in the air one of his boots was slatted off. Kearney ran to him as soon as the train had passed. His skull was crushed and his shoulder was broken. The brains were protruding from a hole in his skull above the forehead. Beyond his crushed skull and broken shoulder there was not another mark on his body. After striking the wagon the train was stopped and backed up to the crossing, but after a short stop it went on the Long Branch.

The body was taken to R. T. Smith's undertaking shop on Front street. The coroner was notified but an inquest was not deemed necessary. Later the body was removed to Albertson's home. The funeral was held at the house yesterday and the burial was at Fair View. Albertson was 41 years old.

Albertson was a truck farmer who moved from South Carolina to Red Bank about a years ago. He was of singularly generous impulses, and was most conscientious and honest in his dealings. He leaves a wife and two small children. His wife was in Red Bank when the accident occurred, and on her return home she passed the wagon in which her husband's body was being taken to Mr. Smith's place. She did not hear of the accident until she reached the railroad track.

Albertson's parents live at Asbury Park. His father is an invalid and was not able to attend the funeral.

Martin Kearney has been flagman at this crossing for 23 years. This is the first accident which has occurred there during that time. Just before his appointment a colored man named Anthony was killed at this crossing.

Mrs. Mary Maney, an Italian woman who moved to Red Bank from Asbury Park about two weeks ago, was killed near the Beach street crossing of the Southern railroad on Monday morning by the express train from Lakewood which reached Red Bank shortly after eight o'clock. The woman was picking up coal on the railroad track. A freight train was drilling on the sidings, and the woman stepped out of its way and over on the main track. The Lakewood express was close at hand, but the woman did not hear it nor see it. She was struck by the locomotive and instantly killed, although the train was running at a slow speed. Her skull was broken almost in two. The body was removed to R. T. Smith's undertaker shop and was buried yesterday in Mt. Olivet cemetery at Headden's Corner. No inquest was deemed necessary. Mrs. Maney leaves a husband and two small children, a boy and a girl.

Source: Red Bank Register, Wednesday, March 16, 1898

Related Genealogy Resources:

  • ~ Keep up with FREE databases as they come online

    Thank you for visiting our site.
    Please do come back again.
    And remember, we are all Distant Cousins

    Link to

    Back to Home Page

    Privacy Statement