Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

New Jersey Obituaries - Red Bank Register - March 10, 1897

Back to Obituaries Home Page


  • George W. Brower, a veteran of the late war and a well-known farmer of Raritan township, died at his home near Keyport last Wednesday. He was 53 years old. His death was caused by a complication of diseases with which he had been sick for several weeks. Mr. Brower was born at New Monmouth. During the war he was a member of Company B of the 29th regiment of New Jersey Volunteers. He was employed by a ferry company for eighteen years, but for the past fourteen years he had lived on his farm near Keyport. He was a member of J. G. Shackleton Post of Keyport, and he was also a member of the Keyport lodge of American Mechanics. He was twice married and a widow and two children survive him.

  • Mrs. Eliza Morford, widow of Jesse Morford, died at the home of her grand-daughter, Mrs. Charles Hendrickson, at Port Monmouth on Monday, aged 83 years. For the past year Mrs. Morford had been enfeebled from old age. On Saturday she was stricken with paralysis and gradually grew worse until her death. She was born in Middletown township and had lived there all her life. Two children survive her. They are Mrs. William Conk of Red Bank and Henry Morford of Matawan. Her funeral was held this afternoon from the Middletown Baptist church. The services were conducted by Rev. W. H. J. Parker. The body was buried in the cemetery at Harmony.

  • Mrs. Mary (Johnson) Holmes, wife of James Holmes, died at her home on Beach street yesterday morning, aged 67 years. Her death was caused by a tumor, with which she had been suffering since last August. She was born at Morrisville and was the daughter of Abraham Johnson. She moved from Morrisville to Matawan in 1876. After living there about five years she moved to Red Bank, where she had lived ever since. Her husband and five children survive her. The children are Mrs. Augustus Jimmerson of Matawan, George Holmes of Long Island, James Holmes of Newark and Charles and Eugene Holmes of Red Bank. The funeral will be held on Thursday at two o'clock from the house.
      Per the Death Notice Mrs. Holmes was aged 67 years and 7 months.

  • Mrs. Mary Eleanor (Laird) Rue died of pneumonia at Red Bank on Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Augustus Dey of Maple avenue. She was 73 years old. Mrs. Rue was an old resident of Monmouth county. Her maiden name was Mary Eleanor Laird and she was married to John M. Rue of Englishtown on February 23d, 1842. Her husband died at Englishtown in 1867. A few years after the death of Mr. Rue, Mrs. Rue moved to Red Bank, where she had since lived. She leaves five children. They are David E. Rue of Hoboken, James A. Rue of Deal Beach, Daniel L. Rue of Passaic, and Matthew Rue and Mrs. Augustus Dey of Red Bank.

  • James Cooper, a life-long resident of Howell township, died at Turkey last Wednesday, aged 88 years. He was for many years a justice of the peace and he was a member of the board of freeholders for three years. He was a charter member and a director of the Monmouth mutual fire insurance company. He was married twice. By his first wife, who died about fifteen years ago, he had thirteen children, all of whom have died of consumption. His second wife survives him.

  • William V. D. Brown died of consumption at the home of his father, Capt. Thomas P. Brown, on Friday, aged 25 years. He had been sick for the past two years, and had been confined to the house for six weeks previous to his death. He was married about a year ago. His wife survives him. His funeral was held on Monday morning at ten o'clock from his late home and a half-hour later at the First Methodist church. The burial was in the family plot in the burying ground at Manasquan.
      Per the Death Notice Mr. Brown was aged 25 years and 11 months

  • Jonathan M. Strickland died suddenly at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Templeton, at Keyport, on Thursday, aged 73 years. The night previous to his death he retired in seemingly good health. During the night he was stricken with paralysis and died a few hours after the attack. He was a locksmith by trade and had lived at Keyport for the past twenty years. He leaves three children, Mrs. Templeton and George and William Strickland, all of Keyport.

  • Miss Fannie D. Ravatt, formerly of Lincroft, died at the home of her stepfather, John Dey, at Atlantic Highlands last Wednesday, aged 23 years. She had been sick for three weeks, but seemed to be recovering. A few hours before her death she was attacked with paralysis from which she died. She leaves three brothers, W. S. and C. E. Ravatt of Atlantic Highlands and John H. Ravatt of Lafox, Ill.

  • Mrs. Sarah Hopkins, wife of Harvey Hopkins, died near Locust Point on Saturday, in childbirth, aged 38 years. Besides her husband she leaves three young children. Her funeral was held on Monday at All Saints' church at Locust Point. The services were conducted by Rev. J. C. Lord. The interment was in the church cemetery. Mrs. Hopkins was a very large woman and weighed nearly 300 pounds. It took eight men to carry her body to the grave.

  • Mrs. Macy A. Letts, mother of R. F. Wilbur of Red Bank, died at Long Branch last Wednesday, aged 63 years. Her death was caused by bronchial pneumonia. Mrs. Letts was twice married. Mrs. I. H. Crammer of Long Branch and Mr. Wilbur are her surviving children by her first marriage, and Mrs. J. Markett is the surviving child by her second marriage.

  • Mrs. Edward McCormick died in childbirth at Shrewsbury on Sunday, aged 24 years. The funeral was held yesterday from St. James's at Red Bank. The services were conducted by Rev. James A. Reynolds. The body was buried at Mt. Olivet cemetery at Headdon's Corner.

  • Mrs. William W. Disbrow died of pneumonia at Matawan on Tuesday of last week, aged sixty years. She was a native of North Carolina and was distantly related to Robert E. Lee of Virginia. She married Mr. Disbrow in 1871. Her husband and one son survive her.

  • Thomas Griffin, a farmer of Marlboro township, died of pneumonia on Monday of last week, aged 59 years. Mr. Griffin leaves a widow and nine children. His family will receive $1,500 from a lodge with which he was connected.
      Per the Death Notice Mr. Griffin was aged 59 years, 9 months and 29 days.

    Death Notices:

  • Ford - at Clarksburg, on Thursday, March 4th, Edna, infant daughter of Edward F. Ford.

  • Holmes - At Allentown, on Wednesday, March 3d, Mrs. Emily Holmes, aged 79 years.

  • Holmes - At Red Bank, on Sunday, March 10th, Arthur, son of Eugene Holmes, aged 2 years.

  • Hines - at Brooklyn, on Saturday, February 27th, Frank Hines, formerly of Keyport, aged 17 years.

  • Lent - at Keyport, on Sunday February 27th, John B. Lent, aged 80 years.

  • Meares - At Long Branch, on Tuesday, March 2d, the infant child of James Meares.

  • Prongee - At New Bedford, on Sunday, March 10th, Alfred Prongee, formerly of Fair Haven, aged 4 years.

  • Verbeck - At Cliffwood, on Saturday, February 27th, Albert Verbeck, aged 24 years.

  • Worcester - At Keyport, on Monday, March 1st, Henry D. Worcester, aged 71 years.

    Interesting News of the Day:

    Kelly Again In Jail
    It Took Five Men To Get Him To The Lockup
    He Came to Red Bank From Morrisville to Lick Constable Stryker, But Fell Victim to the Rum Which Perisheth.

    Henry Kelly of Morrisville, who was arrested about two months ago by Constable Franklyn Pierce Stryker, is again in the county jail. The charges upon which he is locked up this time are of assaulting Gilbert Crawford and of assaulting an officer.

    Kelly came to Red Bank last Friday with the avowed purpose of "licking" Constable Stryker. His enmity against Stryker was due to the fact that Stryker had succeeded in arresting him after he had eluded the officers nearly two years. Kelly was indicted two years ago for assaulting the teacher and some of the big boys in the Morrisville school and also for forging the name of Daniel Smock to a check. He left Morrisville for a time and when he returned his friends kept watch and notified him when officers were coming. Constable Stryker surprised him one morning while he was in bed, all the other members of the family being away from the house at the time. Kelly was taken to the county jail at once and was found guilty on the assault cases and was acquitted on the forgery charge. He has never forgiven Stryker for arresting him.

    When Kelly came to Red Bank on Friday he tarried around town and got drunk. Then he went to the Globe hotel. He soon forgot all about licking Stryker. He was too drunk to lick anybody, and he sat down in one of the hotel chairs and went to sleep. While he was sleeping someone took his hat and replaced it with an old hat. When Kelly awoke and discovered the substitution he got mad and accused Gilbert Crawford of having taken the hat. Crawford said he didn't and the men got in a quarrel. Finally Kelly hit Crawford in the neck with his fist. Marshal Peter Lang arrested Kelly on Crawford's charge and Kelly was held in $100 bail by Justice Child to await the action of the grand jury. James Walsh, the chief of police, undertook to take Kelly to the lockup, and Kelly resisted. Stryker, John McPeak and Marshal Lang helped Mr. Walsh. The four men had difficulty getting Kelly to move along, and when they were on Broad street Kelly tripped Walsh up and the five men fell to the sidewalk, with Walsh at the bottom of the heap. A big crowd assembled and some of the bystanders helped the procession to start again. A little further on Kelly again kicked Walsh's feet from under him. Joe Conover grabbed one of Kelly's feet and Kelly, with the free foot, made a savage kick. He didn't hit anybody, but he caved in John McPeak's hat. When he kicked at Walsh he cut through this trousers and made a bad gash in his leg. Walsh put handcuffs on Kelly and he was carried to the jail. When he sobered up he was again arraigned, this time on a charge of assaulting an officer. He was held in $200 bail on this charge, and as he could not furnish bail he was taken to the county jail.

    Kelly is 23 years old and is a comparatively small man, but he is very strong.

    Source: Red Bank Register, March 10, 1897

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us