Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

New Jersey Obituaries - Red Bank Register - January 6, 1897

Back to Obituaries Home Page


Mrs. Katharine R. Sutton.

Mrs. Katharine Rutherford Sutton, wife of George Sutton, died at her home on Irving street on Saturday night. She had been sick three weeks and her death was due to blood poisoning. Mrs. Sutton was 27 years old. She was a daughter of Mrs. Arthur A. Patterson and the late Thomas Evans of New York. She was married to George Sutton five years ago last November. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at two o'clock at her late home. Rev. E. C. Hancock preached the sermon and Rev. J. K. Manning was present and assisted in the services. There were many beautiful floral tributes.

Mrs. Laura V. (Vanderveer) Cooper, wife of James Cooper, Jr., of Red Bank, died from childbirth on Thursday morning. She leaves three small children. Mrs. Cooper was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Vanderveer of Jersey City. She was married to Mr. Cooper about fifteen years ago. Mrs. Cooper had the faculty of making and retaining friends and her early death is much regretted. She was 38 years old.

Her funeral was held from her home on Irving street on Saturday. The services were conducted by Rev. F. R. Harbaugh. The burial was in Fair View cemetery, and the pall bearers were I. H. Adlem, George V. Sneden, Enoch L. Cowart, John B. Bergen, J. C. Smock and W. P. Richie.

Mrs. Rebecca Bennett died at Eatontown on Tuesday of last week in her 90th year. She had always been in good health until about three weeks ago, when she seemed to suddenly break down. She had always lived at Eatontown or in its immediate neighborhood. Her husband died about ten years ago. She was the mother of eleven children, seven of whom are still living. The children are Mrs. Sylvester Ferry of Oceanport; H. C. Bennett of Elmhurst, Long Island; J. P. L. Bennett and Jonathan Bennett of Eatontown; John M. Bennett of Long Beach; and Mrs. George W. Cook of New York. The funeral was held from her late home on New Year's afternoon. The service was conducted by Rev. J. B. Kulp and the burial was at Hamilton.

Per the Death Notice Mrs. Bennett was aged 89 years.

Mrs. Mary Dugan, wife of Patrick Dugan, died at Shrewsbury yesterday afternoon, aged about 62 years. The cause of her death was a complication of diseases. She had been sick nearly nine years. She was born in Ireland and came to this country about 40 years ago. When she first came to this country she lived at Vanderburg, where she remained until about two years ago, when she moved to Shrewsbury. Her husband and five children survive her. The children are Mrs. Thomas Sagurton, John Dugan and Timothy Dugan of Shrewsbury; Mrs. William Mack of Vanderburg and Michael H. Dugan of Long Branch. The funeral will be held at eight o'clock from the house to-morrow. The burial will take place at Freehold.

John H. Aitken died at Red Bank last Friday morning of dropsy and Bright's disease of the kidneys, aged 35 years. He was buried on Sunday afternoon from the Baptist church, the funeral being conducted by Rev. J. K. Manning. Mr. Aitken was a member of the Red Bank lodge of Odd Fellows and the burial service of that order was read at the grave. He was Scotch by birth, and had lived in Red Bank for twelve or thirteen years. His nearest relative on this side of the water is an uncle, James Roberson of Cranford, N.J. Mr. Aitken was a baker by trade and was employed for a good many years by Charles Rogers. He had been unable to work since last September on account of poor health. He was a widower, his wife having died about three years ago.

Mrs. Annie VanHise, wife of Samuel V. VanHise, died at Chapel Hill on December 23d, aged 31 years. About a week before her death Mrs. VanHise gave birth to twins, who died shortly after birth. Her condition did not become critical until the Sunday previous to her death, when she took a turn for the worse and gradually grew worse until her death. Mrs. VanHise was married on the Christmas previous to her death in the house in which she died. Her shroud was her wedding dress. One sister, Mrs. Sadie Havens of Asbury Park, survives her. The pall bearers at her funeral were young men from her Sunday-school class.

Mrs. Mary E. Dugan, wife of John Dugan of Red Bank, died on Monday of consumption, aged 38 years. She had been sick about a year, but had been confined to her bed only three weeks. A husband and three children survive her. The funeral was held this morning at ten o'clock at St. James's church. The interment was at Mount Olivet cemetery at Fair View.

Michael Mullen died at his home between Tennent and Englishtown on Thursday, December 24th, aged 78 years. At the time of his death he was sitting in a chair in front of the fire and appeared to be well until a moment before his death. His death was caused by heart trouble. Mr. Mullen's occupation was that of a farmer. A wife and two children survive him.

Miss Emma West died at Oceanport on Friday, aged 50 years. Her death was caused by a tumor of the stomach, with which she had suffered about three years. She was buried on Monday morning from her late home. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. R. T. Roche and the interment was in the Episcopal burying ground at Shrewsbury.

Nicholas J. Mandeville of Bethel in Howell township died at that place on Monday, December 21st, aged 85 years. His death was caused by paralysis. He had been sick about five months. One daughter survives him. She is Mrs. Brokaw, who lives near Bethel. The body was buried in Bethel cemetery.

Per the Death Notice Mr. Mandeville was aged 85 years, 1 month and 1 day.

Eleanor Layton died of old age at Colt's Neck, on Sunday, December 27th, aged ninety years. The funeral took place at the Colt's Neck church on Tuesday of last week. The services were conducted by Rev. S. R. Cunningham and the burial took place in the Colt's Neck cemetery.

Per the Death Notice Mrs. Layton was aged 90 years and 4 days.

Rhandle R. Dey died at Freehold from hemorrhage of the lungs on Monday of last week, aged 77 years. Mr. Dey was born at Manalapan, where he lived for many years. About two years ago he moved to Freehold and made his home with his son-in-law, William E. Curtis. His wife died about fifteen years ago. Seven children survive him. They are Miss Lizzie Dey and Mrs. Richard Potter of Blawenburgh; Mrs. Cyrus Selleck of New Canaan, Connecticut; Mrs. David C. Thompson and Mrs. William E. Curtis of Freehold, and Richard and John Dey of Red Bank.

Augustus Kingsland died at Arlington on Tuesday of last week, aged 31 years. Mr. Kingsland was a former resident of Keyport and married Miss Annie VanSchoick of Arlington about nine years ago. She, with three children, survive him. The burial was at Keyport.

Jonathan S. Walling died at his home on Front street on Monday, aged 70 years. He was born in Raritan township and had lived all his life in this county. His funeral was held this morning at half-past ten o'clock and the interment was at Keyport.

Abram Thompson died of a complication of diseases near Matawan on Tuesday of last week, aged 67 years. A widow and three children survive him.


  • Branch - At Seabright, on Tuesday, December 29th, Mary A., wife of James Branch, aged 27 years.

  • Hall - At Hazlet, on Wednesday, January 6th, Peter R. Hall, Jr., formerly of Eatontown, aged 14 years.

  • Hollaway - At Long Branch, on Monday, December 28th, the infant child of John Hollaway.

  • Irwin - At Perrineville, on Monday, December 28th, Fannie, wife of Charles Irwin.

  • O'Brien - At Keansburg, on Wednesday, December 23d, Dennis O'Brien, aged 70 years.

  • Stryker - At Colt's Neck, on Sunday, December 27th, John, son of Philip Stryker, aged 10 years and 4 months.

  • West - At Oceanport, on Friday, January 1st, Miss Emma West, aged 50 years.

  • Wyckoff - At Oceanic, on Friday, January 1st, Lucy Ellen, daughter of Richard Wyckoff, aged 5 months.

    Wills and Estates:

    Settling Up Estates
    Five Wills Probated At Freehold
    How the Property is to be Distributed - Few Bequests Outside of Relatives-Administrators for Other Estates

    Several wills have been probated at Freehold during the past week. Among the wills are those of John H. Conover of Freehold, John H. Coward and William Bedle of Keyport, Mrs. Catharine A. Gill of Asbury Park, and John Norton of Millstone township.

    John H. Conover left to his wife, Catharine J. Conover, during her life, the house and lot he occupied at Freehold, subject to the payment of his debts. She was also left all other goods not otherwise specified. To his son, John A. Conover, he left the house and lot after the death of Mrs. Conover, subject to the payment of $25 to each of his other children, Ellie Conover and William Conover. A number of articles were left as keepsakes to each of his children. A silver watch was left to John A. Conover. To his son William he left a bed and bedding, three chairs and his small library. A lounge was left to his daughter, Ellie Conover, and to her daughter, Maria, at the death of his wife, he left a bedroom bureau, a writing desk, his large library and a bed. To his grandson, John H. Conover, son of John A. Conover, he left his gold watch and chain. The will was made April 10th, 1885, and was witnessed by Peter Forman and James B. Craig. It appointed William S. Combs executor, but he declined and Mrs. Catharine J. Conover has been appointed executrix with will annexed.

    John H. Coward of Keyport directed his executor to collect his life insurance, pay his funeral expenses and erect a tombstone from it and invest the balance, the interest to be paid to his wife, Mrs. Phebe E. Coward, during her life. At her death the principal goes to his son, Joseph B. Coward. His wife has the use of his house and lot at Keyport, together with all the furniture, during her life. After she dies $150 a year is left to Mr. Coward's daughter, Mrs. Deborah C. Arrowsmith, in lieu of all claims for care of Mr. Coward and his wife. A mortgage for $3,000 is held to raise this $150 per year. After Mrs. Coward's death the house and lot and all furniture are left to Mrs. Arrowsmith for life. After the death of both Mrs. Coward and Mrs. Arrowsmith the house and lot is to be sold, and after paying the funeral expenses of Mrs. Arrowsmith, one-half of the remainder is left to Joseph B. Howard and one-half is to be divided among the grandchildren, Emma E. Decker, Joseph C. Arrowsmith and Maria Coles. All the rest of the estate was left to Joseph B. Coward, who was appointed executor. The will was made on July 17th, 1888, and was witnessed by Edmund McKinney and David Warner.

    By the will of William Bedle, the executors are directed to sell all the real estate as soon as possible. The will confirmed an agreement between William Bedle and his son, Asbury F. Bedle, made January 17th, 1896, relating to the transfer of some personal estate to him. To his sons, Albert M. Bedle, James H. Bedle and Melville Bedle, and his daughters, Sarah B. Coleman and Vienna Bedle, he left $500 each. To his sons, William M. Bedle, Jr., Septimus Bedle and Thomas Bedle, who the will says were in the war of the rebellion, he left $700 apiece. All the rest of the estate is to be divided among the nine children, Albert M. Bedle and Alfred Walling, Jr., were named as executors, and the will, which was made November 17th, 1896, was witnessed by Harry H. Sproul and Josephine A. Ogden.

    Mrs. Catharine A. Gill left all her property to her husband, Rev. William I. Gill. Mr. Gill became well-known throughout the county last fall by stumping for Bryan. Mrs. Gill's will was made June 29th, 1887, and a codicil to it was made October 3d, 1896, in which the provisions of the original will were reiterated. Mr. Gill, besides being sole legatee, was made sole executor of the will.

    John Norton left to his sister, Mary Ann Wyckoff, all the furniture in his house and everything else except his bank stock and other securities. He left her the interest on his bank stock and other securities as long as she should live. He also left to her outright one half of the cash he should possess at the time of his death, and part of the farm stock and farm machinery. At Mr. Wyckoff's death the stock in the Princeton Bank is to go to John Norton, son of Frank Norton, a namesake; and the stock of the Hightstown bank in to go to Lindsay Norton, another nephew, who also gets all securities and personal property not otherwise bequeathed. For ten years after Mr. Norton's death Lindsay Norton is to run the farm left by John Norton, but is to pay Mrs. Wyckoff $200 a year and Frank Norton $300 a year from the proceeds. At the end of the ten years the farm is left to Lindsay and Frank Norton outright, but they must pay $200 a year to Mrs. Wyckoff as long as she lives. Lindsay Norton also gets John Norton's one-half interest in the William Norton farm near Etra.

    Administrators have been appointed in a number of cases where persons died and left no wills. These administrators are as follows:

    Estate of John Dubois-Frederick DuBois and L. Lavinia DuBois.

    Estate of Mortimer Mcmahon-Charles Paul.

    Estate of Matilda W. Beekman-J. Russell Beekman.

    Estate of William H. Thomas-Thompson J. Thomas

    Estate of Edward W. Carpenter-John A. DeRoche, de bonis nou with will annexed.

    Source: Red Bank Register, January 6, 1897

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us