Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   September 9,   1896


Mrs. Clara Harvey.

Mrs. Clara Harvey, wife of Charles E. Harvey of West Long Branch, died at her home yesterday morning. She was 44 years old and leaves two daughters. Mrs. Harvey had been sick for the past two years. Two years ago she had an operation performed in New York for the removal of a tumor. The operation was successful, but shortly after this she was taken sick with sciatic rheumatism and recently she suffered from nervous prostration. On Sunday this culminated in paralysis of the brain. A few weeks ago she was taken to Asbury Park, but the change proved of no benefit.

Mrs. Harvey had been a member of the Methodist church for the past 25 years, and had been superintendent of the infant department of the Sunday-school for many years. She was also a member of the ladies' aid society and was an energetic church worker. Her funeral will be held on Friday afternoon at two o'clock at the West Long Branch Methodist church. Rev. C. F. Downs will conduct the services, and the interment will be in the West Long Branch cemetery.

John E. Guy.

John E. Guy died at Atlantic Highlands yesterday morning, aged 64 years. He was stricken with apoplexy on Friday and became unconscious shortly afterward. He recovered consciousness at intervals during the time of his sickness. He was a caterer and worked for Thomas Swift at the Highlands until about a year ago. A widow and two daughters survive him. His funeral will be held to-morrow at Zion church at Navesink at two o'clock.

George C. Murray.

George C. Murray, son of Christopher Murray, died of typhoid fever at West End, Long Branch, last Wednesday. He had been sick since the early part of last month. He was first taken with malaria, but this disease developed into typhoid fever about a week before his death. He was 25 years old. He was born at West End and graduated from the Long Branch public school in 1889. He was very popular in social circles and had a large number of friends.

Edward Waln.

Edward Waln, son of R. C. Waln, died at Allentown on Monday of last week, aged 23 years. He had been sick for some time. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and also of the Knights of Pythias lodge.


  • GUY - At Atlantic Highlands, on Tuesday, September 8th, John E. Guy, aged 64 years.

  • HARVEY - At West Long Branch, on Tuesday, September 8th, Clara, wife of Charles E. Harvey, aged 44 years.

  • HEES - At Robertsville, in Marlboro township, on Tuesday, August 25th, Sophie, wife of George Hees, aged 54 years and 8 months.

  • MURRAY - At West End, on Wednesday, September 2d, George C. Murray, aged 25 years.

  • ROTHSTEIN - At Atlantic Highlands, on Sunday, September 6th, Albert Rothstein of New York.

  • STILWAGON - At Long Branch, on Saturday, August 29th, William Stilwagon, aged 44 years.

  • TRUEX - At Atlantic Highlands, on Friday, September 4th, the infant son of Joseph Truex.

  • WALN - At Allentown, on Monday, August 31st, Edward, son of R. C. Waln, aged 28 years.

    He Fell Into the Millpond at Eatontown Last Thursday.

    Edward Keefe, the seven-year-old son of Robert Keefe of Eatontown, was drowned in the millpond at Eatontown last Thursday afternoon. Young Keefe and several other boys were playing at the pond. Among the boys was John Winters, who is a deaf mute. All the boys except Keefe and Winters went into the mill to get matches to light their cigarettes. When they came out of the mill Keefe was missing and Winters showed by signs that Keefe had fallen in the pond. One of the boys ran to the village for help and William Edwards and Joseph Wolcott responded and they brought Keefe's body to the surface with an eel spear.

    Winters's story of the accident was that Keefe's hat fell into the pond and that in leaning over to get it he fell in. There was seven feet of water in the pond. Keefe's funeral was held on Sunday afternoon.

    Found Dead in His House.

    John Neucle was found dead in W. H. Cottrell's tenement house near Matawan on Thursday. Neucle had evidently been dead about three days. He was about 45 years old and leaves a family, but was not living with them. It is said that his death was caused by alcoholism.

    Source: Red Bank Register, September 9, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us