Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   October 14,   1896

Killed by a Fall.

Daniel Taylor, who lived near Smithburg, fell from his wagon last week and struck on his head. He was almost instantly killed. Taylor was on his way home from Smithburg with Henry Batesil. When Taylor fell from the wagon he told Batesil to drive on. Several hours later Taylor was found by a party who went searching for him. He leaves a widow and two children.


Mrs. Adelia Ann Worthley.

Mrs. Adelia Ann Worthley died at Little Silver on Sunday night after a sickness of only two days with bronchial pneumonia. She was 89 years old. She had been a remarkably active and vigorous woman, and could read and sew without the aid of glasses. She was a daughter of John Castler, who in 1812 kept the Highland lighthouse. She remembered some of the more stirring incidents of the war of 1812, although she was then only a little girl. In her older days she was a great favorite with the children of Little Silver, who were fond of having her tell them stories of her early days, and especially of the time when the furniture of the lighthouse was loaded on wagons ready for removal if an expected attack of the British should take place. She leaves six children, three of whom are married. The children are John H. Worthley of Red Bank; Robert C. Worthley of Long Branch; Charles A. Worthley of Brooklyn; and Mrs. John H. Bates, William E. Worthley and Miss Theodosia Worthley of Little Silver. The funeral took place at the house at two o'clock this afternoon. Rev. Mr. Crozier of Fair Haven preached the sermon, and the body was interred in the cemetery at Little Silver village.

William Wood.

William Wood died of gastritis at his home on Washington street last Wednesday night, aged 76 years. He had been sick for three weeks. He was born in Rockland county, New York. For many years he was engaged in the manufacture of silverware in New York city, and he lived at that place until about 24 years ago, when he moved to Red Bank. His wife died about a year ago. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. E. F. Ackerman, who lived with her father, and Mrs. Joseph P. Chadwick of Wallace street. His funeral was held on Saturday afternoon from his late home. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. F. R. Harbaugh and the interment was in Fair View cemetery.

Capt. Richard Phillips.

Richard Phillips, captain of the sloop Hoyden, died at his home at Belford last Thursday of typhoid fever. He had been sick about eleven days. A short time before his death he became delirious. Captain Phillips was born at Middletown. When he was about eight years old his family moved to Belford, where he lived up to the time of his death. He was 43 years old. A widow and six children survive him. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. J. M. McGee at one o'clock on Sunday at the house. The body was buried at Fair View.

Willie A. Allen.

Willie A. Allen, the two-year-old son of Joseph Allen, died at Oceanic on Saturday night of an abscess of the brain. The little fellow had been sick less than a week. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon and the sermon was preached by Rev. F. R. Crozier of Fair Haven. The body was buried in the old Rumson burying ground.

Isaac Wales's Will.

The will of the late Isaac Wales of Navesink was admitted to probate by Surrogate Crater at Freehold last week. To his wife, Lavinia J. Wales, he left all of his real estate and personal property for her use during life, except that to his son, Isaac A. Wales, he left the lot adjoining the latter's lot at Navesink. After the death of his wife the property left to her is to go to the testator's daughter, Anna Collins. Omar Sickles of Navesink was named as executor by the will, but he declined to serve and Isaac A. Wales was appointed administrator with the will annexed. The will was made June 22d, 1895.


  • CHAFEY - At Freehold, on Friday, October 2d, Mrs. Annie Chafey, aged 33 years.

  • COLES - At Long Branch, on Friday, October 2d, Hazel, daughter of Daniel Coles, aged 3 years.

  • MAPS - At Long Branch, on Monday, October 5th, Elvin Maps, aged 59 years and 5 months.

  • McANNEY - At Mount Kisco, New York, on Tuesday, October 6th, Rev. Charles H. McAnney, formerly of Long Branch.

  • PHILLIPS - At Belford, on Thursday, October 8th, Richard Phillips, aged 43 years.

  • QUACKENBUSH - At Freehold, on Tuesday, October 6th, Mrs. Sarah J. Quackenbush, aged 72 years.

  • QUEENEY - At Freehold, on Saturday, October 3d, Joseph, son of Frank Queeney, aged 1 year and 1 month.

  • REID - At Philadelphia, on Friday, October 2d, J. Calvin Reid, formerly of Tennent, aged 39 years.

  • RAFFERTY - At New York, on Monday, October 6th, Kate, daughter of Martin Rafferty of Long Branch, aged 20 years.

  • VanHISE - In Millstone township, on Friday, October 2d, Mrs. Meribah W. VanHise, aged 86 years.

  • WOOD - At Red Bank, on Wednesday, October 7th, William Wood, aged 76 years.

  • WORTHLEY - At Little Silver, on Monday, October 12th, Mrs. Adelia A. Worthley, aged 89 years.

    Wills and Estates:

    Angelina Eppelein's Claim to the Estate of Her Grandfather, Glencross Pintard, Who Died Sixty Years Ago.

    A week or two ago this advertisement appeared in THE RED BANK REGISTER:


      That I shall, on the death of Sarah Pintard, now in the asylum at Trenton, commence legal proceedings to obtain the property willed to me by my grandfather, Glencross Pintard, deceased, being property in East and West Red Bank.
              Angelina Eppelein.
              Daughter of Ann Bagley.
              Red Bank, N. J., Sept. 16th, 1896

    Mrs. Angelina Eppelein lives at the corner of Oakland and West streets at Red Bank. She is the daughter of Mrs. Ann Bagley, who died some time ago. Mrs. Bagley was one of the children of Glencross Pintard, who is referred to in the above advertisement.

    Mrs. Eppelein is 56 years old. She is a woman of medium height and is quite stout. She must have been a pretty woman when young, and she is still a very fine-looking woman. Her eyes, which are brown, are her chief attraction. When a young girl she married Levi Kalor. She was left a widow when she was twenty years old. About 29 years ago she married John Eppelein, who died last July. At one time in his life Mr. Eppelein was worth nearly a hundred thousand dollars. He lost almost all of this money in speculating in real estate. Mrs. Eppelein is a good business woman. She demonstrated this during the war. She received $300 in gold at that time, which she sold at a high premium for greenbacks. She invested and reinvested this money in short time mortgages. These mortgages would be for a term of three to six months and Mrs. Eppelein got from twelve to twenty per cent for her money. In one instance Mrs. Eppelein got one hundred per cent. As fast as the interest would come in she would loan it out again. In nine years the total amount accruing from the original $300 was $10,000.

    The two pieces of property, one in East Red Bank and one in West Red Bank, which Mrs. Eppeline expects to wrest from their present holders, were owned by Glencross Pintard at the time of his death, nearly sixty years ago. The piece of land in East Red Bank is not in the borough of Red Bank at all, but is east of the Hance road, between Red Bank and Fair Haven, and is on the north side of the Fair Haven road. It contains about ten acres.

    The tract in West Red Bank is now quite valuable, and several houses are built on it. It came into Glencross Pintard's possession from a man named John Scott. Away back, over a hundred years ago, this John Scott owned all the land east of the road now known as Shrewsbury avenue, from Hubbard's bridge all the way along the river nearly to where William H. Lawes's boarding house is now situated. Shrewsbury avenue was then only an ordinary country road or lane. John Scott died about 1819, and at his death his land was divided into twelve or fifteen parts. The dividing lines between these parts ran from Shrewsbury avenue to the river, at right angles to the road, and the tracts contained from ten to forty acres each.

    One of these parts came into the possession of Glencross Pintard. This tract contained about twelve acres. It extended from the present north line of the James H. Peters farm near Newman Springs, to a line ten or twelve feet north of where Beach street is now situated, and ran from Shrewsbury avenue to the river. The residence and slaughterhouse of Trevonian Bennett are now on part of this property, and several other houses are on the property. The little settlement known as California, along the river bank near the head of Beach street, which Ezekiel and Josh Johnson first occupied some years ago, is also on the property. Another house on the tract was built by Andrew P. Cook three or four years ago.

    A little while before Glencross Pintard died he made his will. The will was made March 20th, 1835. It was a very short will, but a very peculiar one. It is found in Book C of Wills in the surrogate's office at Freehold , and reads as follows:

        I, Glencross Pintard, of the township of Shrewsbury, county of Monmouth and state of New Jersey, do make this, my last will and testament, in manner following, to wit:
        I first order my just debts to be paid.
        ITEM-I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Catherine Pintard, all my estate, real and personal, as long as she shall remain my widow.
        2d-I give to my son, John Pintard, five dollars.
       3d-I give to my unmarried daughters all my remaining estate, so long as either of them shall remain unmarried, unless they shall mutually agree to sell; then and in that case the whole of my remaining estate to be divided equally amongst my hereinafter named children, share and share alike, to wit: Eliza Pintard, Susan Pintard, Catherine Pintard, Ann Pintard, Caroline Pintard, Hugene Pintard, Sarah Pintard, Amelia Pintard, to them, their heirs and assigns forever.
        And I do hereby nominate and appoint my daughter, Caroline Pintard, and my son, Hugene Pintard, executrix and executor of this my last will and testament.
              GLENCROSS PINTARD.
              Dated March 20th, 1835

    Hugene Pintard, who is mentioned in Glencross Pintard's will, got his name in a peculiar way. According to a legend of the family the Tilton who was one of the Twelve Proprietors of East Monmouth, and who drove Morris Newman, a squatter, from the Newman Springs property about 1650, married one of the daughters of a man named Pintard, who was one of the early settlers here. The Tiltons and PIntards married and intermarried and in time some of the descendants began to show the effects of this intermarrying in decreased mental vigor. When Hugene was born he was not given any name. He went simply by the name of "the Pintard boy" for a time. Then, to further distinguish him from other boys named Pintard, he was called Pintard Pintard. When he grew to be quite a lad he realized that he ought to have a regular name. He hears some one call another Eugene and liked the sound of it. He did not know exactly what the name was, but accepted it as his own front name, and wrote it a he had heard it pronounced , which was as though it were spelled Hugene; and by this name he was always afterward called.

    For twenty years or more after Glencross Pintard's death the property lay undisturbed. Then Charles Leighton came from New Orleans with a great deal of money and bought the Newman Springs property. He also bought a good deal of property between Shrewsbury avenue and the river, north of the Pintard tract. In the mean time Beach street had been opened from Broad street to Shrewsbury avenue, and Mr. Leighton wanted to open the street through to the river. To do this he had to get control of the Pintard property. He bought the undivided interest of some of the heirs of the estate, and later he made an agreement with the others for the division of the property. He had the property surveyed and a map made of the tract as it would be with the land laid out in lots. This map showed a narrow strip of land ten or twelve feet wide, on the north side of Beach street. This land Mr. Leighton took as part of his share, as he had land adjoining this strip, and this strip would give him an outlet from this land to Beach street. All the heirs who could be found apportioned the land among themselves. Deeds were given back and forth among them, until the property got into the hands of the individual owners. One brother named Samuel, who had gone West some years before, had never afterward been heard from. His share was divided among the other children.

    There has been for a long time a great deal of talk and speculation concerning the title to the property, and this probably arose from the conditions of Glencross Pintard's will.

    Most lawyers say that the division of the property among the heirs will stand, even though the will gives it to the daughters who remain unmarried. All of the heirs mentioned in the will are dead, excepting Sarah Pintard, who, as is stated in Mrs. Eppelein's notice, is now in the insane asylum at Trenton. She is 81 years old. Catherine married a man named Hill, and moved to Springfield, Missouri. She left three children. Ann married a man named Bagley. Mrs. Eppelein is her daughter, Caroline married Jacob V. A. Whitlock. She afterward bought a lot from Anthony Reckless on Broad street and lived there the rest of her life. At her death-she left no children-she bequeathed her property to Christ church, Shrewsbury. When the property was apportioned by Charles Leighton, the church took the river tract as its share, under Mrs. Whitlock's will, and afterward sold it to Ezekiel and Josh Johnson. Susan, Amelia and Eliza Pintard died spinsters. Hugene moved to Little Silver and was twice married. He left three children. John moved to Syracuse, where he married and had two children.

    Mrs. Eppelein's contest for the property is based on Glencross Pintard's will. Sheppard Kollock, who is now 86 years old, is very familiar with the property. He remembers Glencross Pintard, and has furnished much of the information on which Mrs. Eppelein expects to proceed at her aunt Sarah's death. Mrs. Eppelein claims that under the will the property was to go to the unmarried daughters. As each of these died her share would go to the rest who were unmarried. At the death of the last unmarried daughter the property would revert back to the children of those brothers and sisters who married and left issue. As two of the sisters and two brothers left children, and as Mrs. Eppelein was the only child of Ann Bagley, she would be entitled to one-fourth of the property. As Mrs. Eppelein's mother, Ann Pintard, afterward Ann Bagley, got married, Mrs. Eppelein could not claim any direct rights under the will, but only the right of inheritance from her unmarried aunt, who she claims is now the sole rightful owner of all the property.

    When the property was divided among the heirs it was done under the first clause of the will, which states that everything Glencross Pintard left should go to his wife. After her death the property was divided, and it went to the children as the natural heirs of their mother and not under the third clause. The lawyers who have looked the matter up say that there is very little possibility of the case ever being reopened by the chancellor, and that the only flaw in the title to the property is due to the fact that Samuel, who went West and was not heard of afterward, did not sign the deeds when the property was divided. In case he should turn up the property would be liable for his share of the estate.

    Source: Red Bank Register, October 14, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us