Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   November 18,   1896

He Had Been Sick Only a Week - He Leaves Neither Wife Nor Children - Noted for His Hospitality and His Love of Music.

Stacy P. Conover died at his home near Wickatunk early yesterday morning. His death was unexpected and he had been sick only a week. He belonged to one of the oldest families of the county, and he owned one of the largest and most fertile farms in Marlboro township.

A week ago Monday Mr. Conover started for Freehold. On the way he was taken sick. Richard W. Herbert met him and took him home. Mr. Conover complained of a severe pain in his back, and when he reached home he had to be carried into the house. Dr. Knecht of Matawan was sent for, who stated that it was an attack of lumbago. He thought the attack would be of trifling consequence, but Mr. Conover grew gradually worse. A consultation of physicians was to have been held yesterday.

Mr. Conover was a descendent of the Covenhoven family, the first member of which came to this country about 1630. The family has been living in Monmouth county since about 1700, most of the members of the principal branch having farms in Marlboro township.

Stacy P. Conover was the son of Peter G. Conover and Charlotte Lyall. He was one of the younger members of the family, and was born June 5th, 1828, in the old homestead of the family. He married Miss Ellen L. Schanck, daughter of Daniel Schanck, July 3d, 1860. His wife died several years ago, and Mr. Conover leaves no children.

The members of the Conover family have usually been very long lived. Mr. Conover's father, Peter G. Conover, lived to be 96 years old, and was then killed in a runaway accident, while he was still comparative strong and vigorous.

Mr. Conover's farm comprises about 200 acres. He bought it over thirty years ago. The farmhouse is a fine building, built in the old-fashioned style, but with all modern improvements possible to be had on a farm. The barns and outbuildings were in keeping with the house. About a year ago Mr. Conover had the buildings completely overhauled, and additions were built to many of them. The farm is very profitable, a large part of it being set in fruit. Mr. Conover left a large personal estate in addition to his farm.

In politics Mr. Conover was a Democrat, but was very independent in his political beliefs. He was a great friend and admirer of Edmund Wilson of Red Bank and was a staunch supporter of both him and Wilbur A. Heisley in the county campaign of 1892. This year Mr. Conover was a McKinley Democrat.

Mr. Conover was remarkable for his hospitality and was fond of entertaining his friends and neighbors. He was a member of a social organization known as the "Asparagus Club." This club has about fifty members, and every summer an excursion was made to the farm of Mr. Conover or one of his brothers. He was also a member of the Holland society of New York, and was a regular attendant at its meetings. He took a great interest in this society, and never missed its annual banquet, where he had opportunity to hear the addresses of Chauncey M. Depew and men of like caliber. He was passionately fond of music, and had heard most of the great singers who have visited New York.

As a Farmer Mr. Conover was very progressive in his ideas. His death will be a loss to the community where he lived, and in his death the county will lose one of her foremost farmers, and one of her most upright citizens.

The funeral will be held at his late residence on Friday at half-past twelve o'clock. The interment will be in Holmdel cemetery.


Miss Libbie Doerrer.

Miss Libbie Doerrer, daughter of Mrs. Andarena Doerrer, died at her home on Pearl street on Friday, aged 17 years. Her death was caused by peritonitis. She was taken sick on Monday of last week and had to leave her work at Mason's tooth factory, where she was employed, and go to her home. She grew rapidly worse and death ensued on Friday. She was a member of the Episcopal church and was very active in church work. She was also a member of several societies connected with the church. Her funeral was held at Trinity church on Monday afternoon and the body was interred at Fair View.

Miss Cornelia Brinley.

Miss Cornelia Brinley died at the home of her nephew, Henry Joline, at Branchport on Saturday. Her death was caused by a stroke of paralysis received two days previous. Miss Brinley was 65 years old. She was born in Ocean township and had lived there all her life. Her father at one time owned considerable property on what is now Broadway, Long Branch. She was the last member of her family, with the exception of her brother, John Brinley, who lives at Long Branch. She had been a member of the Methodist church for many years and took an active interest in church work.

Captain John M. Brown.

Captain John M. Brown, a veteran of the Mexican war and a retired sea captain, died at Brielle last Thursday. He was born at Brielle in 1809, where his father, William Brown, was a ship builder. In 1829 he began his life on the sea, from which business he retired about twenty years ago. For a number of years he was in charge of the life saving stations along the coast and assisted in saving many lives from stranded vessels. He received a medal from the life saving association for this work. He had been an active member of the Methodist church all his life, and was a delegate at various times to the general councils of his church.

Stewart Mitchell, Jr.

Stewart Mitchell, Jr., died at Belford last Wednesday of typhoid pneumonia. He had been sick about three weeks. He was 25 years old. A widow and one child survive him. His funeral was held on Friday afternoon from the Belford Methodist church. The services were conducted by Rev. John Magee and the interment was in the Belford cemetery.

Mrs. Janetta Marks.

Mrs. Janetta Marks, widow of Abram Marks, died at the home of her son, Elias Marks, at Long Branch, last Wednesday. She was 79 years old and was born in Germany. She had lived at Long Branch for about thirty years. Six children survive her.

Sylvester L. Tilton.

Sylvester L. Tilton died of consumption at Holmdel on Sunday, aged 36 years. He leaves a widow and three children.

A Frightened Horse, Scared at an Engine, Dashed Down the Street-The Mother Away from Home When the Child Died.

Morris Trooper, the three-year-old son of Lewis Trooper, and Rhoda St. Vincent, the young daughter of Mrs. James St. Vincent, were knocked down and run over by a horse owned by Ashley K. Bennett at Long Branch on Thursday. The Trooper child died from his injuries several hours after the accident. The girl was badly cut about the face by the horse's foot.

The horse was driven by Zebulon Lippincott. It became frightened at a stationery engine that was used by men who are putting up a new building on Second avenue and Broadway. The horse got beyond the control of the driver and dashed into the two children, who were playing in the street. Both were knocked down and the wheels of the wagon passed over their bodies. The Tooper child was stunned but revived in a short time and seemingly grew better, but suddenly took a turn for the worse and died. Mrs. Trooper was in New York at the time of the accident and did not arrive home until about ten minutes after her son had died.

Wm. D. Hoar of Ocean Grove Ruptures a Blood Vessel.

Willian D. Hoar, a painter of Ocean Grove, fell from a scaffold last Thursday and died several hours afterward from his injuries. He was at work alone on a furnished house which was not occupied. He did not come home to dinner at his usual hour and his wife went to where he was working to learn what detained him. Under the scaffold she saw a pool of blood and a trail of blood led from there into the house. She followed it up and found her husband lying on the lounge in an unconscious condition. He was taken home, where he died without regaining consciousness. His death was caused by a ruptured blood vessel. He had several bruises on his head, but none of his bones was broken. He was 68 years old and leaves two married daughters.


  • BROWN - At Brielle, on Thursday, November 12th, Capt. John M. Brown, aged 88 years.

  • BRINLEY - At Long Branch, on Saturday, November 14th, Miss Cornelia Brinley, aged 65 years.

  • CONOVER - At Freehold, on Tuesday, November 10th, John H. Conover, aged 59 years.

  • COMPTON - At Ocean Grove, on Saturday, November 7th, Mary M., wife of Charles Compton, aged 46 years.

  • DOERRER - At Red Bank, on Friday, November 13th, Miss Libbie Doerrer, aged 17 years.

  • GRAVATT - At Keyport, on Saturday, November 7th, Charlotte, wife of Thomas Gravatt, aged 71 years and 10 months.

  • MARKS - At Long Branch, on Wednesday, November 11th, Mrs. Janetta Marks, aged 79 years.

  • MANION - At Cliffwood, on Sunday, November 8th, Helen, daughter of Michael Manion, aged 5 years.

  • MITCHELL - At Belford, on Wednesday, November 11th, Stewart Mitchell, Jr., aged 25 years.

  • STIGER - At Asbury Park, on Sunday, November 8th, Annie E., wife of Silas C. Stiger.

  • TILTON - At Holmdel, on Sunday, November 15th, Sylvester L. Tilton, aged 36 years and 6 months.

    Source: Red Bank Register, November 18, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us