Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   March 25,   1896

Back to Obituaries Home Page



He Was Walking Along the Street When Attacked with the Disease - Enlisted Twice as a Sailor in the United States Navy.

Hans J. Petersen, a veteran of the late war, was stricken with paralysis while walking on Herbert street on Sunday, shortly after one o'clock, and died within a half hour after the attack. At the time of the attack he was on his way from his home on Broad street to visit John McGackin of Shrewsbury avenue. He was picked up and carried into Henry Grause's house, where he died.

Mr. Peterson was about 63 years old. He was born in Denmark and came to this country when a young man. On October 20th, 1862, he inlisted as a seaman in the navy. He was assigned to the steamer Commodore McDouough, on which he served one year, the term of his enlistment. A month after his discharge he reenlisted for a term of three years. This time he served on board the Metacomet, of the West Gulf blockading squadron. He was promoted to quarter gunner on January 3d, 1861. During his service he took part in the battle of Fort Wagner, South Carolina, July 10th, 1863; in the attack on Fort Sumpter, September 8th, 1863, and in the battles at Mobile on August 5th and December 22d, 1864. After the war he enlisted in the navy and served on the Pensacola for nearly two and a half years, when he was discharged on account of a wound he had received in his left arm. This later on developed into paralysis.

He had lived at Red Bank for many years, and until a short time ago he boarded with Mr. McGackin. He received a pension of $36 a month, which was to have been increased on the first of May to $50. He became a member of Arrowsmith Post about twelve years ago. His funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the Mission chapel on Shrewsbury avenue. Arrowsmith Post had charge of the funeral, and the service was conducted by them at the grave in Fair view cemetery.

John Shaw Hoey.

John Shaw Hoey died at Long Branch last Wednesday. He was taken sick five weeks ago with the grip, which soon soon changed to neuralgia of the heart. He was 46 years old and leaves a widow and two daughters. Mr. Hoey was a son of John Hoey, at one time president of Adams express company, and the founder of Hollywood. He was a half-brother of Fred Hoey, the crack shot. His mother, Mrs. Josephine Hoey, is living. Mr. Hoey was a member of the Carteret, Hollywood, Westminster Kennel, Riverside and several other clubs. He was a good marksman and was one of the handicappers in the great American handicap shoot. He served as patrol judge for the Jockey club in 1894 and 1895 and was recently appointed one of the judges for the races this season.

Mrs. Elizabeth J. Longstreet.

Mrs. Elizabeth J. Longstreet, wife of James Longstreet of Mechanic street, died of catarrh of the stomach on Saturday morning, aged 31 years and 6 months. She had been sick for six weeks, but was confined to her bed only about three weeks. She was born in Brooklyn, her maiden name being Teer. She was married to Mr. Longstreet about ten years ago. She leaves one son, who is nine years old. Her funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the Presbyterian church and the body was interred in Fair View cemetery. Among the floral pieces was a handsome wreath from the carmen of Red Bank.

Mrs. Blanch D. Morford.

Mrs. Blanche D. Morford, widow of the late Henry Morford, died in Brooklyn last Thursday from cancer. She was 73 years old. She was a daughter of Charles G. Patterson. She was born at New Egypt but most of her life was spent at Chapel Hill. Her husband, Henry Morford, started the STANDARD newspaper. Mrs. Morford's funeral was held on Sunday. The body was taken to Middletown and was buried in the Baptist church yard, beside the graves of her husband and son.

Mrs. M. J. Lain.

Mrs. M. J. Lain died at the home of her only daughter, Mrs. V. V. LeRoy at Asbury Park on Sunday of last week, aged 63 years. Her death was caused by consumption, with which she had been sick for a long time. She had lived at Asbury Park for seventeen years, and was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian church at that place.

Mrs. Ann Noyes.

Mrs. Ann Noyes died at the home of her nephew, Frederick A. Beale, at West Long Branch, on Sunday morning, of paralysis of the heart. She was 78 years old. The funeral was held to-day, the funeral services being conducted by Rev. M. L. Ferris of Eatontown. The interment was at Greenwood cemetery.

Mrs. Hettie Brower.

Mrs. Hettie Brower, wife of Jacob Brower, died at Keyport on Sunday of last week, aged 48 years. Her death was caused by inflammation of the bowels. She was sick only one week. She was married twice and leaves three children by her first husband and one child by her second husband.

Mrs. Martha A. Paul.

Mrs. Martha A. Paul, widow of the late Mifflin Paul, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. H. Dederer, at Long Branch, on Tuesday of last week. She was 78 years old. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Dederer and Mrs. George B. Sandt of Red Bank.

Mrs. Ellen Allgor.

Mrs. Ellen Allgor, wife of James Allgor, died of pneumonia at New Bedford last Wednesday. She was 68 years old and had been sick only a few weeks.

Two children of Edgar B. Smith of Long Branch, Alvira, aged 7 years, and Forman, aged 3 years, died on Friday, March 6th. Their deaths were caused by diphtheria. They died within eight hours of each other.

John, the eight-year-old son of Ernest Salm of the Phalanx, died on Thursday of diphtheria. The interment was in Fair View cemetery on Saturday.


  • ALLGOR - At New Bedford, on Wednesday, March 18th, Mrs. Ellen Allgor, aged 68 years.

  • DAILEY - At Freehold, on Saturday, March 14th, Mrs. Julia Dailey, aged 65 years.

  • LONGSTREET - At Red Bank, on Saturday, March 21st, Elizabeth J., wife of James Longstreet, aged 31 years, 6 months and 19 days.

  • LAIN - At Asbury Park, on Sunday, March 15th, Mrs. M. J. Lain, aged 62 years.

  • MORFORD - At Brooklyn, on Thursday, March 19th, Blanche D., widow of Henry Morford, formerly of Matawan, aged 72 years.

  • NOYES - At West Long Branch, on Sunday, March 22d, Mrs. Ann Noyes, aged 78 years.

  • PAUL - At Long Branch, on Tuesday, March 17th, Mrs. Martha A. Paul, aged 78 years.

  • SALM - At the Phalanx, on Thursday, March 19th, John Salm, aged 7 years and 8 months.

  • WOOLLEY - At West Farms in Howell township, on Sunday, March 15th, John L., son of George Woolley, aged 8 years and 5 months.

    Wills, Estates:

    Paid Over to Thomas P. McKenna for the Star of the Sea Church.

    The will of Miss Mary McDonnell, who died at the Long Branch hospital about a year ago, was probated last week. Before Miss McDonnell died it was thought that she was almost a pauper. A few days before her death she called in Lawyer Thomas P. McKenna of Long Branch and made a will leaving everything she possessed, except $200, to the Long Branch Catholic church. The $200 she left to Rev. W. P. Cantwell, the pastor of the church. After her death it was learned that her estate consisted of $8,000. Part of this was in bonds and the balance was in the Emigrant savings bank in New York. When the will was offered for probate her brother and a nephew filed a caveat against it, claiming that undue influence was used. Testimony in the matter was taken before the prerogative court in January. The court decided that there were no grounds for delaying the probating of the will, but allowed the contestants thirty days to submit their testimony. This they failed to do. Mr. McKenna, who was counsel for the church, received that money on Thursday. It is probable that the money will be used to build a parochial school at Long Branch.

    Source: Red Bank Register, March 25, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us