Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   January 15,   1896

Back to Obituaries Home Page


Mrs. Ann Mabey.

Mrs. Ann Mabey, widow of Augustus Mabey, died at Belford on Tuesday of last week, aged 69 years. She was born at Belford and had lived there all her life, with the exception of about five years, during which time she lived in New York. Her maiden name was Ann Roop and she was the daughter of the late Joseph Roop. For the past fifteen years Mrs. Mabey had been slightly deranged. She would have nothing to do with her son and daughter, although they desired to help her. She worked out by the day, and was thus employed until two weeks before she died. She used to carry a large amount of silver money about with her, wherever she went. This she kept in a small bag. The amount was supposed to be about $150. After her death search was made for the money but it has not yet been found. She was a member of the Middletown Baptist church, and about ten years ago she became displeased with the minister of the church. She walked all the way from Belford to Freehold to try to get him indicted, but the grand jury would not entertain her complaint. She owned a lot at Belford at one time, and built a house on it. After the house was finished she refused to pay the lumber bill. A lien was place on the house and it was sold. It was bought by Martin Loshen, who let Mrs. Mabey occupy it as long as she lived. After her death a will written by herself was found, in which she directed that all her goods be burned. This will was written about five years ago. Shortly before her death she improved mentally and became rational.

Her funeral services was held in the Belford Methodist church on Friday and were conducted by Rev. W. H. J. Parker of Middletown.

Marcus Sickles.

Marcus Sickles died at the home of his father, Creig Sickles, at Nut Swamp early last Friday morning, aged 26 years. About two years ago he contracted a heavy cold while running to a fire at Freehold, and this gradually developed into consumption, from which he died. For a day or two before he died he suffered intense pain. He was conscious up to within a few minutes of his death. During the past two years he had lived at Freehold, where he was employed by Charles S. Shepherd. Last October he left Freehold, and went to live with his father, his condition at that time being such that he was unable to work. He never gave up hope of recovering his health. He married Miss Florence V. Stryker three years ago, and she and one child survive him. His funeral was held from the home of his father on Sunday afternoon at half-past one o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. M. N. Smith of Marlboro. The interment was at Fair View. The pallbearers were Wm. Patten, Wm. Thompson, Wm. Burrough and Schenck Hendrickson of Freehold, and Richard Campbell and Garrett Smock of Nut Swamp.

Mrs. Rosetta Thompson.

Mrs. Rosetta Thompson died at Mrs. T. I. Wolcott's at Colt's Neck last Wednesday. Death was caused by consumption of the bowels. Mrs. Thompson had lived at Colt's Neck for the past two or three years. She went there from Fair Haven, and lived at Mrs. Louis Soffel's until they moved to Long Branch. After that she was for a time at Mrs. Frank Weeks's, and since then she had been drifting about from place to place. Previous to going to Mrs. Wolcott's she had been at Jesse Ayers's at Jerseyville. While there she was taken sick with the disease which resulted in her death. When it became know that she was sick and her recovery doubtful, Mrs. Wolcott had her brought to her own house, in order that her last days might be made as comfortable as possible. Mrs. Thompson was 59 years old. She leaves a married daughter, but did not know where she lived.

Ira A. Lockwood.

Ira A. Lockwood died at Englishtown on Tuesday of last week of Bright's disease. He had been confined to his bed for five weeks. He was a politician of considerable local reputation, and was one of the Democratic leaders in his township. About seventeen years ago he married Miss Sarah Elizabeth West, daughter of Ellen and William West of Englishtown. She survives him and he also leaves two children. His mother, Mrs. Eleanor Lockwood of Farmingdale, also survives him. Mr. Lockwood served a term as commissioner of the village of Englishtown, and he was for several years clerk of the borough. He was a member of the Free Masons and Knights of Pythias lodges and the Masonic service was read at his funeral.

Mrs. Cordelia P. Corey.

Mrs. Cordelia P. Corey, wife of Allen Corey of Keyport, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John A. Bagley, in New York, on Sunday of last week. Mrs. Corey met with an accident some time ago at her Keyport home, when she fell down stairs and broke her arm, but death was due to other causes. An incident in connection with this death was the disappearance of Mr. Bagley, who left his home on Monday to arrange for Mrs. Corey's funeral, but became demented and was not heard from again until he was found in Roosevelt hospital two days later. He had wandered to a strange house and asked for a furnished room, but was stricken with apoplexy and was sent to the hospital.

Freeman Gray.

Freeman Gray, who was superintendent of the Prudential insurance company at Red Bank for a number of years, died at Worcester, Mass., last Wednesday. His death was due to a complication of diseases. He had only one arm, the other having been lost when he was a young man by the bursting of a gun. He had been at Worcester about two years and was in charge of the Prudential insurance company at that place. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias of Long Branch and also of the American Mechanics of the same place. He leaves a widow and three children.

His funeral was held on Sunday from the home of his brother, George Gray, at Long Branch.

Joseph B. Slater.

Joseph B. Slator died at his home on Shrewsbury avenue, Red Bank, yesterday morning of consumption, aged 34 years. He had suffered with this disease for a number of years, and had to give up work about a year ago on account of his sickness. His wife was Miss VanWinkle, daughter of Stephen VanWinkle of Fair Haven, and she and two children survive him. The funeral will be held from the Episcopal church on Friday morning at half-past ten o'clock.

Charles H. Resch.

Charles H. Rosch, who was a detective in the employ of the government during the war, died at the home of his son, William H. Rosch, at Oceanport, last Wednesday, aged 82 years. His death was caused by cancer of the stomach. He had lived at Oceanport for the past ten years and was a member of the Grand Army post at Long Branch. After the war he was in the employ of the Pinkerton detective agency for a number of years. His funeral was held on Friday from the home of his son. Rev. W. E. Greenbank officiated. The burial was at Greenlawn cemetery. The Grand Army burial service was read at the grave and the pall bearers were members of the post.

Nathan R. French.

Nathan R. French, a brother of C. G. and W. A. French of Red Bank, died at his home in Elizabeth on Saturday. Mr. French was one of the original number who came from Albany to New Jersey in 1848 to establish to association known as the North American Phalanx. He was a prominent leader during the twelve years the organization was in existence. After it dissolved Mr. French became engaged in the commission business in New York city, being senior member of the firm of French & Co., in Warren street, until the time of his death. He left two sons and a daughter.

Mrs. Hepzibah E. Dorn.

Mrs. Hepzibah E. Dorn of Freehold died in New York City on Thursday, January 2d. She was 94 years old. She had been twice married. Soon after her first marriage she moved to Keyport. Her second husband was Samuel Dorn, a farmer of Holmdel township. After his death she moved to Freehold, where she lived with a married daughter. She had gone to New York only a few weeks before her death. Two daughters and an aged sister survive her.

Mrs. Anna Herbert.

Mrs. Anna Herbert, wife of Henry Herbert, died at Asbury Park on Saturday, January 4th. She had been a cripple for a number of years. She was a member of the Daughters of Liberty and 41 members of that society attended her funeral.

Mrs. Lucy D. Parmley.

Mrs. Lucy D. Parmley, wife of Dr. Ehrick Parmley, died at noon to-day at her home at Oceanic from general debility. Her funeral will be held from the Presbyterial church at Oceanic on Saturday at half-past eleven o'clock.


  • BEERS - In Matawan township, on Wednesday, January 8th, Frederick Beers, aged 25 years.

  • BORDEN - At Long Branch, on Friday, January 10th, Carrie, daughter of Alpheus Borden, aged 6 years.

  • CAREY - At New York, on Sunday, January 5th, Cordelia P., wife of Allen Carey of Keyport.

  • DORN - At New York city, on Thursday, January 2d, Hepzibah E., widow of Samuel Dorn of Holmdel, aged 94 years.

  • GRAY - At Worcester, Mass., on Wednesday, January 8th, Freeman Gray, formerly of Red Bank.

  • HERBERT - At Asbury Park, on Saturday, January 4th, Anna, wife of Henry Herbert.

  • HECKMAN - At Freehold, on Tuesday , January 7th, Emily Agnes, daughter of Christine and Gustave Heckman, aged 4 years, 2 months and 26 days.

  • KUHN - At Ocean Grove, on Saturday, January 4th, Lulu, infant daughter of Valentine Kuhn.

  • KING - At Brooklyn, on Thursday, January 2d, Miss Anna B. King, formerly of Long Branch, aged 27 years.

  • LOCKWOOD - At Englishtown, on Thursday, January 7th, Ira A. Lockwood, aged 45 years, 9 months and 4 days.

  • ROGERS - At Hornerstown, on Sunday, January 8th, Mrs. Charles Rogers.

  • ROSCH - At Oceanport, on Wednesday, January 8th, Charles Rosch, aged 82 years.

  • SLATOR - At Red Bank, on Tuesday, January 14th, Joseph B. Slator, aged 34 years.

  • THOMPSON - At Colt's Neck, on Wednesday, January 8th, Mrs. Rosetta Thompson, aged 59 years.

    Wills and Estates:

    An Effort to Break a Will Leaving $8,000 to a Church.

    The will of Mary McDonald of Long Branch came up before Chancellor McGill on Monday. She had died at Long Branch last summer and was generally supposed to be poor. She made her will a short time before her death and left all her property to the church of Our Lady Star of the Sea. It was thought at the time that her possessions were trivial. She was asked at the time her will was made if she did not want to leave her property to her relatives, but she said she had been neglected by them and did not want to leave them anything. After her death it was learned that she had property worth about $8,000. The will states that this is to be used for a parochial school in case it is deemed advisable by the church to build such a school. The will was drawn by Thomas P. McKenna of Long Branch.

    When her relatives learned that she had made a will and had left this amount of property to the church they contested the will on the ground of undue influence, and also on the ground that she was incapable of making a will.

    At the hearing on Monday Mr. McKenna presented testimony showing that there had been no undue influence and that Mrs. McDonald was mentally sound when she made the will. After a cross examination of the witnesses by Frank P. McDermott of Freehold, the chancellor decided that a prima facoe case had been made out and ordered that the will should be probated. Mrs. McDermott asked for time to take testimony in rebuttal. This was granted and the case went over till the further order of the court.

    It is generally thought that the will will be sustained.

    Source: Red Bank Register, January 15, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us