Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   April 29,   1896

He Was Talking With a Friend When He Dropped to the Sidewalk and Almost Instantly Expired - His Career.

Asher S. Parker, who has suffered with organic heart disease for a long time, dropped dead on Monday on the sidewalk on Broad street. He was talking with John S. Hubbard when he suddenly sank to the ground. The body was carried into a store and Dr. Warner was summoned, but Mr. Parker died within a few minutes after being stricken.

Mr. Parker was regarded as one of the most successful business men of the town. He was 78 years old and was the son of Joseph Parker. He was born in Red Bank and had lived here almost all his life. He was employed as a clerk both in Red Bank and Long Branch for several years, and about fifty years ago he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law Francis Chadwick. They ran a general store, and had a lumber and coal yard and a lime kiln in connection with their business. They also owned freighting vessels. They continued this business until 1881, when they were burned out. In 1885 Mr. Parker bought a half interest in Theodore Sickles's grocery store, which he held until 1893, when he sold his interest in the business to Robert Clay.

Mr. Parker married a daughter of the late John Clayton of Freehold. His widow survives him, as do also two children, Joseph Parker, a lawyer of Arlington, and Mrs. W. C. Frazee of New York.

Mr. Parker left an estate valued at from $60,000 to$75,000. He was one of the directors of the First national bank of Red Bank from the time it was organized in 1865 until his death. He was president of the bank during all that time except for three years. He increased his holdings of bank stock from time to time, and at his death he owned ninety shares. Stock of this bank has sold as high as $315 per share. Mr. Parker owned the house and lot on Front street where he lived, the lot extending through to White street. He owned a half interest in the building and lot occupied by Sickles & Clay's grocery store, and a half interest in the William V. Parker farm east of Red Bank. Besides this property he owned stock in sailing vessels and had considerable money out at interest.


Mrs. Charles G. French.

Mrs. Charles G. French died at her home at the Central hotel on Friday. She had been an invalid for the past six years. She was the daughter of Charles Coggleshall of New Bedford, Mass., and was born there in 1836. Her grandfather, Hayden Coggleshall, was one of the early settlers of New Bedford, and his farm occupied a part of what is now the city. In 1854 Mrs. French came to Red Bank with her grandfather, Thomas Cole, with whom she lived until her marriage, which occurred in 1865. She was a member of Trinity church and before her illness was an active worker in its interests. Fro several years she was a teacher in the school known as Trinity school, which was organized by the church. She leaves a husband and two daughters, Mrs. Charles Bergen and Miss Louise G. French.

Mrs. Catherine D. Carhart.

Mrs. Catherine D. Carhart, wife of Edmund A. Carhart, died at the home of her son, Taylor Carhart, in Holmdel township, on Saturday, April 18th. Her death was due to heart failure, caused by shock. Her husband had been stricken with paralysis, and fell to the floor. Mrs. Carhart hurried to his assistance, but was so overcome that she became hysterical. She went out of the house to the yard and fell face downward on the ground. She rose to a sitting posture but before she could get to her feet she fell over dead. She was 63 years old.

Henry Williams.

Henry Williams, a veteran of the late war and also of the Crimean war, died at Keansburg on Sunday of last week, aged 67 years. He had lived alone since the death of his wife several years ago. He was found dead in bed by his daughter, Mrs. John Day, who lived close by. He was born in Ireland and came to this country about forty years ago. When a young man he enlisted in the English army and took part in the Crimean war, and was present at the siege of Sevastopol. He fought on the Union side in the late war and received a pension of $25 a month.

Mrs. Mary Gleason.

Mrs. Mary Gleason, widow of Morris Gleason, died at Long Branch on Monday of last week from injuries received by falling down a flight of stairs. At the time of the accident she was getting ready to go to church. When she was picked up she was unconscious and did not regain her senses. She was 72 years old and leaves six children, three of whom live at Long Branch, they being Mrs. Fred Reichers, Mrs. Sarah Bennett and Mrs. Ella Lane.

James E. Johnson.

James E. Johnson, a former resident of Marlboro, died on Monday of last week at St. Mary's hospital at Brooklyn of appendicitis. Mr. Johnson was a justice of the peace in Marlboro township for many years. At the time of his death he held a position in the Brooklyn navy yard. He was about fifty years old and leaves a widow and three children, one daughter and two sons.

Lewis H. Woolley.

Lewis H. Woolley, son of Albert Woolley, died at Matawan on Tuesday of last week, aged 12 years. He was recovering from the measles when he caught cold, which resulted in his death. He was deformed and sold newspapers at the Matawan station.

David C. Mount.

David C. Mount, a life-long resident of Freehold township, died near Freehold on Sunday of last week aged 58 years. He leaves a widow and five children.

Mrs. Elizabeth H. White.

Mrs. Elizabeth H. White died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. B. Nickles, at Long Branch, on Saturday, April 18th, aged 64 years. Her death was caused by paralysis. Three children survive her. They are Mrs. Nickles and Mrs. W. F. True of Long Branch and Ellison M. White of Philadelphia.

James H. O'Dell.

James H. O'Dell of Manalapan township died suddenly on Friday, April 17th, aged 67 years. His death was caused by heart disease. About fifteen minutes before his death he was turning a grindstone. He quit work, and went into the house and died. He was married twice. A widow and eight children survive him.

Philip Stier.

Philip Stier died at his home on Stout street yesterday afternoon, aged 59 years. His death was caused by an abscess of the spine, resulting from a strain. He leaves a widow and four children. His funeral will be held Friday afternoon at two o'clock at the house.

Charles Heuser.

Charles Heuser died at Cliffwood on Friday, April 17th, aged 67 years. His death was caused by Bright's disease. He leaves a widow and several grown up children.

Stanley McDermott Accidentally Killed at Belmar.

Stanley McDermott, son of Charles McDermott of Belmar, was accidentally shot by his playmate, Arthur Hagerman, on Saturday night and died almost instantly. McDermott was fourteen years old and Hagerman is thirteen. The two boys and George Heyer of Colt's Neck, were playing in an unoccupied house belonging to Hagerman's father. A revolver was found in the house by young Hagerman. He told his companions that it was there to use in case burglars should come in the house. While he was fooling with it, the weapon was discharged. The bullet entered McDermott's heart. He cried out and sank to the floor, but raised himself to a chair and sat down. His frightened companions ran out in search of a doctor, but before one arrived the boy was dead. On searching the dead boy's clothing another revolver was found in his pocket.


  • CHAPMAN - At Manasquan, on Saturday, April 18th, Aurie, daughter of John Chapman, aged 12 years.

  • CARHART - In Holmdel township, on Saturday, April 17th, Catherine D., wife of Edmund A Carhart, aged 63 years.

  • DILLON - At Allentown, on Wednesday, April 22d, Rhoda, wife of Alfred Dillon, aged 74 years.

  • EMRICH - At Fairfield, Illinois, on Thursday, April 16th, L. Emrich, formerly of Freehold, aged 59 years.

  • FITZGERALD - At Farmingdale, on Thursday, April 16th, George, son of George Fitzgerald, aged 18 years.

  • FRENCH - At Red Bank, on Thursday, April 23d, Mrs. Charles G. French, aged 61 years.

  • HEUSER - At Cliffwood, on Friday, April 17th, Charles Heuser, aged 67 years.

  • HEAVILAND - In Howell township, on Wednesday, April 22d, James Heaviland, aged 78 years and 8 months.

  • HEISIG - At Freehold, on Saturday, April 18th, Schiller, son of Rev. Theodore Heisig, aged 6 years and 4 months.

  • JOHNSON - At Brooklyn, on Monday, April 20th, James E. Johnson of Marlboro, aged about 50 years.

  • LISSIGNOTE - At Belmar, on Tuesday, April 21st, George A. Lissignote, aged 73 years.

  • MOUNT - Near Freehold, on Sunday, April 19th, David C. Mount, aged 58 years.

  • O'DELL - In Manalapan township, on Friday, April 17th, James H. O'Dell, aged 67 years.

  • PARKER - At Red Bank, on Monday, April 27th, Asher S. Parker, aged 73 years.

  • RYAN - Near Freehold, on Sunday, April 1 9th, Bridget Ryan, aged 70 years.

  • SCOTT - At Belmar, on Saturday, April 18th, James R., son of James R. Scott, aged 7 months.

  • SMITH - At Keyport, on Monday, April 25th, Benjamin P. Smith.

  • WOOLLEY - At Matawan, on Tuesday, April 21st, Lewis H., son of Albert Woolley, aged 12 years.

  • WILLIAMS - At Keansburg, on Sunday, April 19th, Henry Williams, aged 67 years.

  • WOLCOTT - At Asbury Park, on Thursday, April 23d, Harry Wolcott.

  • WHITE - At Long Branch, on Saturday April 18th, Mrs. Elizabeth H. White, aged 64 years.

  • WOLCOTT - At Long Branch, on Wednesday, April 22d, Frank D. Wolcott, aged 7 years.

    Wills, Estates:


    On Monday Wm. W. Conover, the only surviving witness to Capt. L. L. Seeley's will, went to Freehold and the will was probated. Robert Allen, Jr., is executor of the will.

    Source: Red Bank Register, April 29, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us