Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   April 22,   1896

Frank Ketcham of Ardena Instantly Killed at Danbury.

Frank Ketcham, aged twenty years, son of J. H. Ketcham of Ardena, in Howell township, was shot through the heart and instantly killed on Saturday, April 11th, at Danbury, Connecticut, by William Flitcroft. Ketcham and three companions were together Saturday night. About midnight they went to a house in a notorious part of the city kept by a Mrs. Fisher. One of Ketcham's companions went to the door and knocked, but was refused admittance. He broke in the door, and William Flitcroft, who claims to be a regular boarder in the house, warned the men to leave and threatened to shoot them if they continued to annoy him and the other occupants of the house. The young men refused to go and finally Flitcroft ordered them away again and said he would fire at them. The young men made some reply and Flitcroft fired his gun, which contained a heavy load of buckshot. Ketcham was shot through the heart, liver and lungs. One shot passed entirely through his heart, four shot penetrated his liver and four entered one lung. Ketcham died almost instantly. The body was taken to Ardena and the funeral was held last Wednesday. Howell council of American Mechanics attended the funeral in a body.

Ketcham was twenty years old last December. He went to Danbury about a year ago and was employed in a hat factory at the time of his death.


Edward Eustace.

Edward Eustace died at the home of daughter, Mrs. James C. Doughty, on Oakland street, early this morning, aged 66 years. He had been sick for two years with nervous trouble. About seven weeks ago softening of the brain set in and he had to take to his bed. On Friday he became unconscious and remained so until his death.

Mr. Eustace was born in Ireland. When a young man he emigrated to this country and lived for a number of years at Troy, N. Y. He enlisted in the war in 1862. He suffered much with rheumatism and on account of this disease, after a few months of active service, he was made clerk of the regiment to which he belonged. He acted in this capacity until the close of the war. He moved to Red Bank in 1865 and engaged in the ketchup business with E. E. Ovens. For the past nine years he had been in the same business with his son-in-law, James C. Doughty. Mrs. Doughty is the only surviving member of his family.

The funeral will be held at the house at eight o'clock on Friday night and the body will be taken to Albany the next morning for burial.

Mark L. Mount.

Mark L. Mount of Red Bank died at Hypoluxo Beach, Florida, last Thursday, aged 56 years. His death was caused by consumption, with which he had been sick for a long time. The latter part of December he went to Florida, hoping in a measure to regain his lost health. The change did not prove of any benefit to him, and he grew steadily worse until his death.

He was born at Navesink. He served three years in the war, and was discharged from the service on account of disability. While he was in the service he was captured by the rebels and was confined in Libby prison for nine months. He was a machinist by trade and before he went South he conducted a shop on Front street, near Bridge avenue. A widow and two daughters, Mrs. Atwood Elliott and Miss Olive Mount, survive him. His funeral was held at Hypoluxo Beach and his body was interred at that place.

Mrs. Julie E. Coe.

Mrs. Julia E. Coe, wife of Lewis H. Coe, died suddenly at Keyport on Saturday, April 11th, aged 68 years. On the night previous to her death she retired in seemingly excellent health. About five o'clock on Saturday morning her husband called to her to awaken her. She replied by saying that it was too early to get up. About six o'clock he called her again but received no answer. He tried to awaken her and found that she was dead. A doctor who was summoned said that death was due to apoplexy. She and her husband moved to Keyport nearly forty years ago. They had been married nearly fifty years and intended to celebrate their golden wedding next December. One son, W. A. Coe, and a daughter, Mrs. I. W. Pike, survive her.

John L. Mount.

John L. Mount died of dropsy of the heart at Union, near Keyport, on Monday of last week. He was 71 years old. He had been sick for the past year, but it was only ten days before his death that he had to take to his bed. During most of that time he was unconscious. He was born at Red Bank and had lived in Monmouth county all his life. He leaves a widow and one son, Timothy Mount.

Mrs. Adelaide Joyce.

Mrs. Adelaide Joyce, widow of John M. Joyce, died at Fair Haven yesterday afternoon, aged 58 years. She was stricken with paralysis about two weeks ago and her death resulted from this attack. The funeral will be held at the home of her sister, Mrs. Charles Hendrickson, on Friday afternoon at two o'clock.

Samuel Coward.

Samuel Coward, a resident of Manasquan, died of neuralgia of the heart at the home of his son-in-law at Jersey City of Monday of last week. He was 79 years old. He had been in poor health for some time past and went to Jersey City, hoping that the change would benefit him. He leaves a widow and one daughter.

Mrs. Kate Cooper.

Mrs. Kate T. Cooper, wife of Otis Cooper, died at Freehold on Tuesday of last week. Mrs. Cooper was 36 years old and was a member of the Holmdel Baptist church. About two weeks ago Mrs. Cooper gave birth to a child, and she never recovered from the ensuing sickness. The child lived only a few hours.

Mrs. William Shafto.

Mrs. William Shafto of Villa Park died on Saturday, April 11th, from injuries received from falling down a flight of stairs on the Tuesday previous. She was picked up in an unconscious condition and did not again regain consciousness. She leaves a husband and six children.


  • BENNETT - At West Ocean Grove, on Monday, April 13th, Charity, widow of Edward Bennett, aged 60 years.

  • COE - At Keyport, on Saturday, April 11th, Julia E., wife of Lewis H. Coe, aged 68 years and 7 months.

  • COWARD - At Jersey City, on Monday, March 13th, Samuel Coward of Manasquan, aged 79 years.

  • COTTRELL - At Keyport, on Tuesday, April 14th, Florence, infant daughter of Thomas Cottrell.

  • COOPER - At Freehold, on Tuesday, April 14th, Kate T., wife of Otis Cooper, aged 36 years.

  • DORE - At Trenton, on Saturday, April 11th, Mary Dore, formerly of West Freehold, aged 50 years.

  • EUSTACE - At Red Bank, on Wednesday, April 22d, Edward Eustace, aged 66 years and 11 months.

  • GUGLE - At West Long Branch, on Sunday, April 19th, Hannah, wife of John I. Gugle, aged 46 years.

  • JOYCE - At Fair Haven, on Tuesday, April 21st, Mrs. Adalaide Joyce, aged 58 years.

  • KETCHAM - At Danbury, Conn., on Saturday, April 11th, Frank Ketcham of Ardena, aged 20 years.

  • MOUNT - At Hypoluxo Beach, Florida, on Thursday, April 16th, Mark L. Mount, aged 56 years.

  • MOUNT - At Keyport, on Monday, April 13th, John L. Mount, aged 71 years.

  • MAGGS - At Matawan, on Wednesday, April 15th, Helen, daughter of Joseph Maggs, aged 9 years.

  • RIORDAN - At Colt's Neck, on Tuesday, April 14th, Dennis Riordan, aged 67 years.

  • SHAFTO - At Villa Park, on Saturday, April 11th, Mrs. William Shafto.

    Source: Red Bank Register, April 22, 1896

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us