Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   October 16,   1895


William Wilkins.

William Wilkins, an old resident of Asbury Park, died suddenly at that place on Friday from heart disease. He was 69 years old. He started to go to work on Friday morning and when about 75 yards from his home he became sick and retraced his steps. He got within fifteen feet of his house and dropped to the ground. When he was picked up a few minutes later he was dead. He was a mason by trade and was born in Northhampton, England. When a small boy his parents emigrated to this country. He had lived at Asbury Park for a number of years. A widow and six children survive him. He was a brother to Mrs. Joseph Lewis of Jerseyville and George Wilkins of Colt's Neck. The funeral was held at the Fairfield Baptist church, and the interment was in the church cemetery.

Mrs. Louisa Bailey.

Mrs. Louisa Bailey, widow of Capt. John Bailey of Keyport, died at her home there last Sunday night, aged 62 years. She had been sick for the last year and had been confined to her bed for ten weeks. She leaves five children, three sons and two daughters. The funeral took place this afternoon from the Methodist church at Keyport. Mrs. Bailey was a sister of John Vanderbilt of Red Bank.

Mrs. Mary Shibla.

Mrs. Mary Shibla died at the home of her father, George Schroendemen, at Jerseyville, last Friday. Her death was caused by consumption, with which she had been sick a number of years. Besides her husband, she leaves one child. The funeral was held from the Methodist church at Jerseyville. Rev. P. W. Bilderback preached the sermon. The interment was at Colt's Neck.

Mrs. C. C. Scott.

Mrs. C. C. Scott died suddenly at her home in Asbury Park on Thursday, aged 69 years. The day previous to her death she was stricken with paralysis early in the evening and at midnight she suffered from a second stroke. She became unconscious after being stricken the first time and did not regain consciousness. Previous to this she had been in excellent health. Five children survive her.

Mrs. Christena Keeler.

Mrs. Christena Keeler died at her home at Scobeyville last Thursday. She was in her 55th year. Her death was caused by typhoid fever. Her funeral was held on Thursday, the sermon being preached by Rev. S. R. Cunningham of Colt's Neck. The interment was in Colt's Neck cemetery.

Mary E. Conover.

Mary E., daughter of John D. Conover, who lives near the Brick church, in Marlboro township, died at her home on Thursday from inflammation of the bowels. She was eleven years old.


  • CONOVER - Near Brick church, in Marlboro township, on Thursday, October 10th, Mary E. Daughter of John D. Conover, aged 11 years.

  • KEELER - At Scobeyville, on Thursday, October 10th, Mrs. Christena Keeler, aged 54 years.

  • MURPHY - In Manalapan township, on Tuesday, October 5th, Peter Murphy, aged 64 years.

  • SCOTT - At Asbury Park, on Thursday, October 10th, Mrs. C. C. Scott, aged 69 years.

  • SHIBLA - At Jerseyville, on Friday, October 11th, Mrs. Mary Shibla.

  • WATKINS - At Asbury Park, on Friday, October 11th, William Watkins, aged 69 years.

    Estates, Wills:

    Robinson Pound Wins in the Supreme Court.

    The Elizabeth R. Lafetra will case came up in court on Monday. The will had been made in 1887, and three codicils had been added since that time. In the will Miss Lafetra gave the farm on the road between Shrewsbury and Eatontown to Robinson Pound, whom she had brought up and who had lived with her for many years. This farm was substantially all of Miss Lafetra's property. Mr. Pound's father had married Miss Lafetra's niece as his second wife previous to 1887, and it was said that an agreement had been made between the elder Pound and Miss Lafetra whereby Mr. Pound's second wife was to get all his property at his death, and Miss Lafetra was to bequeath her property to Robinson Pound. Miss Lafetra's will stated that she left her property to Robinson Pound for love and affection, and as an equivalent for the property he would have received had his father not married the second time. When Mr. Pound died he did not leave all his property to his wife, but some of it went to his son, and this was relied on by those who wished to break the will as the chief point in their favor.

    The case came up before Judge Beasley and a jury. James Steen of Eatontown and Wm. T. Hoffman represented those who wished to break the will, and who were Miss Lafetra's relatives living at New York, Newark, Plainfield and other places. Nevius & Wilson of Red Bank represented the other side. Mr. Steen claimed that the will was not valid because of fraud, because of undue influence, and because Miss Lafetra was not capable of making a will; and also because of that agreement which had not been carried out. Judge Beasley stated that if they wanted to attack the will on the ground of fraud, or of undue influence, or of lack of capacity, he would hear the evidence they had to offer, but that if they wanted to attack the will on the ground of that agreement they would have to go to the court of chancery.

    The people who wanted the will broken held a consultation with their lawyers and concluded to abandon the case in this court and take it to the court of chancery.

    Source: Red Bank Register, October 16, 1895

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us