Searches  |  Surnames  |  City Directories  |  School Alumni  |  Obituaries   |  Military Records  |  US States  |  SSDI

Obituaries   >   New Jersey   >   August 7,   1895

His Coat Caught in His Bicycle and He Could Not Dismount - He Fell Under the Horses' Feet and Was Trampled Upon.

Henry Hines of Part Monmouth was run over and killed on Monday night while riding on the road at that place. He was riding from Michael O'Brien's store. Two roads cross each other diagonally near there, one of them being the road leading from Bodine's store to the Harmony schoolhouse and the other leading from Captain Griggs's to New Monmouth. Just as Hines reached the junction of the two roads some bystanders called to him to look out for a coming wagon. William Finn was driving along the other road with a team and an empty farm wagon, and the team and bicycler came to the junction of the roads together. Hines swung to the right to pass around the wagon but Finn also pulled his team in that direction, thinking that the bicycler would go on the other side. When Hines saw that a collision was probable he tried to dismount. His coat caught in some part of the machine and prevented him from getting off. His wheel toppled over and he fell directly under the houses' feet. He was stepped on by the horses, one foot being planted on his chest and another on his stomach. After the horses had passed over him one of the wheels struck him on the left side of the head at the base of the brain and scraped along to the top of the head.

Hines was picked up and carried home. He did not fully regain consciousness at any time after the accident. The accident occurred about nine o'clock and he died shortly after two o'clock on Tuesday morning. Drs. Taylor of Middletown and Budlong of Belford were summoned but they could do nothing for him.

Hines is about eighteen years old. His parents are living, his father being Henry Hines of Part Monmouth. He also has several brothers and sisters.

The funeral will take place to-morrow at two o'clock from the Belford Methodist church. He was a member of Bayside council of American Mechanics, and the order will attend the funeral in a body. Rev. B. C. Lippincott, Jr., will preach the sermon.

Hines was insured in the beneficial order of American Mechanics and his relatives will receive $500. This is the second death that has occurred by accident in this council within a year, the other being Richard Casler, who was killed by the caving in of a well. In addition to these two deaths by accident Wm. Overton, another member, has died within the past year. The relatives of each of these men received $500 from the order, making the total amount for death benefits $1,500.

Dr. Alfred F. Trafford Ends His Life by Taking Morphine.

Dr. Alfred F. Trafford was found dead in his office in the Sutton Building on Broad street last Wednesday night by his nephew, Robert C. Trafford. He had committed suicide by taking morphine. He was lying on a sofa with only a night dress on. Drs. Elwood S. Morton and W. B. Warner were summoned. They said he had been dead at least two hours. An empty morphine vial was on the table, with a note to his nephew, saying, "Good-by Bob. I am at rest." Dr. Trafford suffered very much from melancholy at times and had frequently said that he did not care to live. He was last seen alive at noon on Wednesday by his nephew.

Dr. Trafford was born in New York on January 17th, 1852, and had been practicing medicine for eighteen years in Red Bank. In his early life his father, Abram Trafford, owned a big farm at Rumson. He leaves a brother, Abram Trafford of Fair Haven, two nephews, Robert Trafford and Charles H. Trafford of Red Bank, sons of Charles H. Trafford; and a niece. The funeral was held at his brother's house on Friday afternoon. Rev. Robert MacKellar preached the sermon. The pall bearers were Al. Ivins, Charles E. Cook, John Sutton, Wm. A. Hopping, John T. Tetley and Borden H. Wolcott. The burial was in the family plot at Rumson.

Trying to Get Creditors to Accept Land in Settlement.

An effort is to be made to compromise with the creditors of the John Hoey estate at Long Branch by deeding to them portions of the real estate at Hollywood. It has been said that the estate is bankrupt and that it will not be able to pay the claims against it. The managers of the estate say that this is not true and that if the lands are sold at what they are worth, all claims can readily be paid. Most of the estate consists of lands which cannot be disposed of readily, and it is proposed to give the creditors some of these lands to satisfy their claims. If the creditors accept these lands at what the Hoey people say they are worth the Hoey estate will have two-thirds of its property left. The mortgages on the property amount to $264,500, and the total amount of claims against the property , including mortgages judgments, unpaid taxes, etc., amount to nearly half a million of dollars. The annual charges for interest, insurance, taxes and other expenses amount to nearly $50,000, while the annual income from all sources is about $30,000. A good many people do not consider the property worth the amount of the debts.


Dr. William A. Betts.

Dr. William Alexander Betts, the oldest practicing physician of Red Bank, died at his home on the corner of Broad and Monmouth streets on Sunday afternoon at four o'clock.

He was 61 years and ten months old. For the past year he had been sick with a chronic disease of the heart and arteries. His health finally became so poor that about the first of January he had to give up active practice, and since that time he had been confined to the bed several times for a period of two weeks or so. About two weeks ago he was again attacked, and on Wednesday of last week his right side became paralyzed. At the same time he became unconscious, in which state he remained until his death.

Dr. Betts was born in Ontario county, New York, and spent his boyhood there. On reaching manhood he accepted a position in a large clothing store in New York City, remaining there several years. After leaving there he began the study of medicine with his half-brother, Dr. Robert R. Conover of Red Bank, and graduated from the college of physicians and surgeons in New York in 1861. He then took into partnership with him Dr. William B. Warner, this partnership being in existence until his death.

Dr. Betts was a man more thoroughly devoted to his profession than usual. He was practically charitable and was never known to refuse to make a call in any sort of weather because the person was too poor to pay him a fee. He had probably a larger practice than any other physician in Monmouth county. It embraced all classes of people. He was very successful in his practice and enjoyed the confidence of his patients to an unusual degree.

Those in his immediate family who survive him are his brother, Dr. Joseph H. Betts of Red Bank; his sister, Mrs. Dewitt of Shokan, New York; and his half-brothers, Smith Conover of the Highlands and David Covover of Shoken. His funeral took place from his late home this afternoon at two o'clock, the burial being in Fair View cemetery. The pall-bearers were Dr. Edwin Field, Dr. J. E. Sayre, J. Trafford Allen and Henry S. White of Red Bank, Dr. Edward F. Taylor of Middletown and Dr. J. E. Cooper of Shrewsbury.

The death of Dr. Betts will end the partnership subsisting between him and Dr. W. B. Warner, and Dr. Warner will continue the practice.

Noble J. Minor.

Noble J. Minor died at his home at Navesink yesterday morning. His death was very sudden, he having been at work all day Monday painting a house he had just built for his own occupancy. After quitting work he went about the village and seemed to be in excellent health and sprits. He went home early in the evening and on going in the house spoke in a joking manner to some visitors and then went to bed. About three o'clock in the morning his wife was awakened by his heavy breathing. She tried to rouse him but could not do so. Lighting a lamp she saw that something was the matter and sent one of her children for Dr. Andrew. He found Minor in a comatose condition, from which he never rallied, and he died about eight o'clock. Coroner Sickles was notified and after viewing the body gave a permit for burial. He leaves a widow and two children. He was about forty years old.

George H. Mount.

George H. Mount of Freehold, son of Joseph Mount of Red Bank, died at his home in Freehold on Saturday from injuries received in a runaway accident about two weeks ago. The accident resulted from a misstep which caused him to fall between the shafts of his wagon, thus frightening the horse and it ran away. It was thought at the time that his injuries were trifling, although the wheels of the wagon passed over his body. After his death a post mortem examination was made and it was found that death was caused by a small clot of blood near the heart.

He leaves a wife and one child. His funeral was from his late home on Monday afternoon. Fully fifty carriages were in the funeral procession, and the Odd Fellows and American Mechanics, of which lodges he was a member, turned out in a body.

Mrs. Bridget Mooney.

Mrs. Bridget Mooney of Lincroft died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Maggie Bennett at Long Branch, on Wednesday of last week, aged 69 years. She had been confined to her bed for only two weeks, but had been more or less sick for a long time with a complication of diseases. She was the widow of Dennis Mooney, who died about six months ago. She was born in Ireland and came to this country about fifty years ago. She had lived at Lincroft 42 years. She leaves four children, Thomas Mooney of Red Bank, Mrs. Maggie Bennett of Long Branch, Mrs. Lavinia Slocum of Jersey City and Mrs. Mary Donnelly of New York.

The funeral services took place on Saturday morning from the Catholic church at Morrisville, the interment being in the Catholic cemetery at Fair View.

Miss Sarah E. Spinning.

Miss Sarah Elizabeth Spinning, oldest daughter of William Spinning, died of consumption at the home of her father on Spring street, early Sunday morning, aged 31 years. She had been sick at various times within the past three years but had not been confined to the house. She became worse about three weeks ago and malarial fever also set in. Miss Spinning was a member of the First Methodist church and was prominently connected with church societies. The funeral took place from the church yesterday and the burial was at Fair View cemetery.

Mrs. Hannah Conover.

Mrs. Hannah Conover, the widow of the late Daniel Conover, died at her home at New Monmouth on Wednesday of last week. Her death was due to old age, she being 86 years old. She leaves no immediate family. The funeral services were held in the Baptist church at New Monmouth on Friday, and were conducted by Rev. Wm. V. Wilson. The burial was in the old Baptist cemetery at Middletown.

Whitfield Soden.

Whitfield Soden, son of Aaron T. Soden, died at Long Branch on Saturday, July 27th, aged 22 years. Death was caused by cancer of the stomach. He was a member of the militia, and the company took charge of the funeral. His life was insured in the Prudential insurance company for $130.

Mrs. John Craig.

Mrs. John Craig died very suddenly at Freehold last Thursday. She was as well as usual in the morning but was stricken with apoplexy at half-past nine and died about four hours later. She was about sixty years old and leaves a husband, two sons and two daughters.

Nelson Woolley.

Nelson Woolley, a farmer of Deal Beach, died from a stroke of paralysis on Saturday night, July 27th. He had been a farmer all his life and was a son of Ludlow Woolley. He was fifty years old and leaves a widow and two daughters.

Charles J. Foster, son of William J. Foster of Long Branch City, died of brain fever on Monday of last week. He had been sick only a few hours. He was fourteen years old.

Charles Kelso, son of C. W. Kelso of Long Branch, died last Wednesday of blood poisoning. He was ten years old.

Robert Stern, a retired business man of Long Branch, died on Friday, July 26th.


  • BETTS - At Red Bank, on Sunday, August 4th, Dr. William A. Betts, aged 61 years and 10 months.

  • BUSTEED - At Seabright, on Sunday, July 28th, John Busteed, aged 64 years.

  • CRAIG - At Freehold, on Thursday, August 1st, Mrs. John Craig, aged about 60 years.

  • EMMONS - At Long Branch, on Friday, July 26th, Tucker, son of Tyler Emmons, aged 22 years.

  • FULLER - At Long Branch, on Friday, July 26th, Francis Fuller, aged 79 years.

  • FOSTER - At Long Branch city, on Monday, July 29th, Charles J., son of William J. Foster, aged 14 years, 6 months and 24 days.

  • HINES - At Port Monmouth, on Monday, August 5th, Henry Hines, aged 18 years.

  • HOLLOWAY - At Middletown, on Sunday, August 4th, Tillie, daughter of Harvey G. Holloway, aged 9 months.

  • KELSO - At Long Branch, on Wednesday, July 31st, Charles C., son of C. W. Kelso, aged 10 years.

  • MINOR - At Navesink, on Tuesday, August 6th, Noble J. Minor, aged about 40 years.

  • SODEN - At Long Branch, on Friday, July 27th, Whitfield, son of Aaron T. Soden, aged 22 years.

  • STERN - At Long Branch, on Friday, July 26th, Robert Stern, aged 82 years.

  • STRAUSS - At Red Bank, on Sunday, August 4th, infant child of Jacob Strauss.

  • SPINNING - At Red Bank, on Sunday, August 4th, Miss Sarah Elizabeth Spinning, aged 31 years.

  • TRAFFORD - At Red Bank, on Wednesday, July 31st, Dr. Alfred F. Trafford, aged 43 years.

  • WOOLLEY - At Deal Beach, on Tuesday, July 30th, Nelson Woolley, aged 56 years.
    The Hospital Waif Dead.

    Paul Duncan, the child which was found last April in Hoey's woods at Long Branch, where it had been abandoned by its mother, and which was afterward taken to the Long Branch hospital, died last week of cholera infantum.

    Source: Red Bank Register, August 7, 1895

  • Browse Obituaries by Location

    Please also see:

            City Directories by State     Military Records     Alumni Lists     Cemetery Records

    Related Links To Outside Resources:

    Home Page  |  Friends |  Privacy Policy |  Link to Us