Welcome to Green Ridge Cemetery, Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County, NY
The source for this burial data is "The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record" Vol. XLVII, No.s 3 & 4, 1916, pp.s 233 - 240, 403 - 409. The Section is entitled Saratoga County, NY Epitaphs, Green Ridge Cemetery, Saratoga Springs, NY, Communicated by Cornelius Emerson Durkee.
The following is taken from the above publication verbatim:
This is the largest cemetery in the Town of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and is situated on the southerly side of South Street in the Village of saratoga Springs.
The northeast corner of the enclosure was originally set apart for the exclusive use of the Roman Catholic element, but it proving insufficient and the lots therein being quickly taken up, a new ground was obtained and dedicated by them, lying on the southwest part of the village. The occupants of the Roman Catholic part of Green Ridge being mostly of Irish birth and not particularly identified with the history of the Village or County, no attempt has been made to gather the inscriptions to be found there, and none from that portion are inserted, except four of the Walworth family.
When Green Ridge was opened as a cemetery, many removals were made from the First or "Sadler" and "Putnam" grounds into the more modern and tasteful enclosure. This fact will account for the existence of many stones in Green Ridge bearing dates long prior to the existence as a cemetery. All of the epitaphs have not been copied into the following list, those of young children having been generally omitted. With this exception the list is complete.
The epitaphs were copied by Mr. E. D. Harris and Mr. C. E. Durkee, October, 1870, Mr. Harris copying the greater part.
Please click on the letter which corresponds to the first letter in the surname you are researching:Index A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T V W Z